Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 22:39:27 GMT by Elda Lamberti
Good evening,
Months ago we requested a lease extension for the title in subject.
Is there a way to know how it is progressing? I'd like to have an update if possible, as I may want to sell this property soon (the title is for a flat located in a building where each owner owns both a lease and a share in the freehold: the extension was requested by most of the owners byw now, but it seems just one already got it).
Thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards
Elda
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:06:57 GMT by Adam Hookway
Good Morning Elda - there's nothing pending against that title number I'm afraid. Can you double check with the conveyancer please and ask them to confirm the title number and our case (ABR) reference?
I can then check using that specific detail
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:53:44 GMT by Elda Lamberti
Good morning Adam,
Thanks a lot for your swift reply. My solicitor is off until next Monday: I will get back to you with the required details as soon as I speak to her.
The lease extension request has been done for many flats in my building: could it be there is a "global" title, instead of my own? Just an idea!
Best regards
Elda
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:11:23 GMT by Adam Hookway
Elda - there's no global title as there would be a freehold referencing each then granted lease and each lease then has it's own separate title. When an individual lease is extended it's not done as one deed to cover every lease for example but a separate deed for each extension
The conveyancer then applies to register the lease extension against both the freehold and leasehold title and in your case no such application has yet been submitted - unless your conveyancer tells you otherwise and confirms the title number and case reference as explained
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 18:16:13 GMT by Elda Lamberti
Thanks again Adam,
I am not familiar with this... it was just an idea that sprang to mind!
I will be on the case as soon as the solicitor is back to work.
All the best
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 09:26:11 GMT by Adam Hookway

Elda - totally understood and appreciated and this is a forum so any Q goes really and if it helps explain matters and aids others to boot then all good. Let me know what the conveyancer shares if you need to

Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 13:09:32 GMT by Elda Lamberti
Good afternooon Adam, I just heard back from the solicitor, here's her reply:
"The Land Registry application was submitted on behalf of the Landlord.
The case ref. is JN/ A15254-0001/LAMBERTI.
The Landlord’s title number is NK289487.
Your title number is NK317124."
Thanks a lot for looking into it.

Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:01:42 GMT by Adam Hookway
Elda - many thanks but sadly what they have provided does not include the key element namely the ABR (our) case reference 
I know your title number and the landlord's title number but there is nothing pending against either that relates to an extension re your own lease
Can you ask them that very specific Q please - what is the Land Reg ABR reference please?
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:17:20 GMT by Elda Lamberti
I asked her specifically for the ABR number ... I thought what she named "case reference" was in fact the ABR.
I'm getting a bit nervous about this solicitor... but there are legal steps I can take since I seem to have paid for a service that is nowhere to be found, and I need as to be completed, since I am in the process of selling my flat and move elsewhere ...
Hopefully she will find this ABR number... 
Thanks again!
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:35:35 GMT by Adam Hookway
Elda - the reference quoted is the solicitor's own reference so not ours.
I have gone through the 20 applications pending and none refer to that reference or your current lease. I suspect, but want the solicitor/you to confirm that it has in fact been lodged.
You are the client so feel free to contact them and state that you've been in touch with HMLR and they can't identify the actual application. And they've asked me to confirm the ABR (their case) reference as that will enable them to locate it 
Let me know what they say
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:45:08 GMT by Elda Lamberti
Thanks Adam,
I just sent another email to the solicitor. 
All this seems a bit dodgy on their side: I wonder what happened here... if worse comes to worst, I will restart the process with some more reliable Solicitor firm.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:29:06 GMT by Elda Lamberti
It seems they finally found an ABR which could be the right one ... MF825ED.

Thanks!
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:26:33 GMT by Adam Hookway

Elda - many thanks and that helps as we have that application with a provisional new title NK533997

It was submitted yesterday so I assume it hadn't been lodged until you queried it with the conveyancer.

Unfortunately we do have a backlog of this type of work so it will wait now for some time before it is processed. But now that we have it and your lease extension.ownership is protected

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:50:18 GMT by Elda Lamberti
Adam,
Sorry I couldn't reply to your message earlier.
You are correct,  if I hadn't contacted them I would have never had my lease extension submitted: should you ever need a solicitor in Norwich, I will be more than happy to tell who you should not contact ! They had the nerve of telling me that even if they submitted it in May it wouldn't have been processed by the Land Registry anyway, which can be true, but I would be a bit higher in the queue! I understand from the website that you can ask for an espedite service under specific circumstances: in case I have a confirmed buyer in the next few months I will certainly apply for it.
Once again, thanks for your help and for the time yoou dedicated to this research.
All the best
Elda

Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:57:56 GMT by Adam Hookway
Elda - noted and appreciated how frustrating it can be
If you do sell and get a confirmed buyer then the expedite option exists as you state. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in