Skip to main content
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 01:35:36 GMT by Shubhendu Das
Hello Team,

Never used this service before so please bare with me..

I am a buyer, waiting for an update to title BK305949 in order to complete. I have been told an application was recently lodged to update the register and request to expedite was also requested by the sellers solicitor.

It already has been nearly 5 months into this purchase process and would like to know if sellers solicitors have indeed made an expedited request and if this expedited request been approved?

Also, once the request has been approved are nearly all cases dealt in 10 days or less ?

Please do let us know.

Thanks, Das

Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 11:26:12 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hello Das - an application was submitted against that title on the 3rd Jan. It's not been expedited as yet and I can't see a request for that either but I'll flag with colleagues to expedite it based on your post.
Expedition generally means that the application is assessed/processed within 10 working days. It's no guarantee of registration though within that timeframe and in this case that's not going to be possible any way
The application is one based on a claim as to ownership (adverse possession) it seems and as such it will most likely need to go through a few stages before it can be completed.
Stage 1 is an initial check and then consideration by a senior technician re the 'claim' itself, namely the facts of the claim and whether they are sufficient in law
Stage 2 is a site visit by an Ordnance Survey surveyor to act as our eyes on the ground to report on the lie of the land which we then use to confirm the facts of the claim 
Stage 3 is notifying the registered owner/adjoining landowners as appropriate to see if they refute or agree to the claim
Stages 2 and 3 are not absolute musts but it's very rare for them not to happen and neither can be hastened/expedited further - a survey usually takes 2 weeks and notifications 3 weeks or more
So even with expedition you are perhaps still looking at a minimum of 8 weeks but only if everything goes to plan and no issues along the staged journey.
The key thing to take note of is the staged approach and not to get too far ahead of yourself re speed and chasing. Stage 1 is crucial and if any problems arise we will contact the applying conveyancer as appropriate. They are the ones you should confirm and check with to confirm what's happening. Once you get to Stage 2 then the timescales are easier to define and manage as explained
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 11:46:58 GMT by Shubhendu Das
Hello Adam,

I extend my sincere gratitude for your assistance in expediting our application. Your explanation has been greatly appreciated.

Currently, we are eagerly anticipating the completion of this process, as it stands as the final hurdle preceding the contract exchange. The urgency stems from our nearing mortgage offer deadline, which has put us on a time-sensitive track. Consequently, as a final recourse, I reached out to this forum for support.

Regrettably, the sellers' solicitor has been less forthcoming with updates. In light of this, I am inquiring if there exists a method to track the progress of the application through an online portal or any means to ascertain the current stage of the application.

Your guidance or provision of information regarding tracking would be immensely beneficial in this situation.

Thanks, Das
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 12:20:02 GMT by Adam Hookway
Das - they or your own conveyancer can track the progress for each Stage as appropriate. They won't get any precise details re timescales etc but each Stage will trigger some sort of contact for the lodging conveyancer.
Stage 1 - any issues would be communicated 
Stage 2 - the applicants are notified re the need for a survey and a site visit is then arranged through them by Ordnance Survey (2 weeks and report submitted)
Stage 3 - wider checks with landowners as described and conveyancer can check to confirm when that happens
From your own perspective I would a) recommend having a chat with your own conveyancer to confirm the process and also to identify the details of the claim being made. Your conveyancer may have a view on the 'strength' of the claim for example, and
b) make a note to post again on here in 2-3 weeks for an update - I can't guarantee being able to share anything specific but we can at least check to see what's happened to date so that you get a better idea of Stage 2 and 3 timescales/start/end
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 12:36:47 GMT by Shubhendu Das
Hello Adam,

I extend my gratitude once again for your guidance and support.

As per your suggestion, I will reconnect to you here in a couple of weeks.

Wishing you a pleasant day ahead and a nice weekend.

Kind regards, Das
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:32:21 GMT by Shubhendu Das

Hello Adam,

Hope you have been well.

As you had suggested to check back after 2-3 weeks, i am here again asking for your guidance.

The update that i have been provided by sellers solicitor was that in second week of Jan they have been asked and have filled up form to get an appointment for the physical survey as per your step 2 but it hasnt been moved in last couple of weeks.

Looking at this situation can we say that Step 1 is done, when can we expect to have Step 2 and 3 being done and can get an estimated timelines, 

Kind regards, Das

Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:54:04 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hello Shubhendu - that's correct so the ball started rolling for Step 2 on 11th Jan when we contacted the applicant to notify them of the need for a survey. So if they've done their part then they should know when that is going to happen.
OS will then report back to us once the survey has been completed. Their report will be considered alongside the claim made and if all ok Step 3 is then reached.
Step 3 will then have a timescale to work with
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 15:58:58 GMT by Shubhendu Das

Dear Adam,

I trust this message finds you well.

I am reaching out for your help again and am in a bit of urgency as the Mortgage deal is also nearing end next month and there is no light at the end of this tunnel.

My solicitor indicated that we might have moved to stage 3, where notices have been served. I would be grateful if you could kindly confirm this information. Additionally, if indeed we are at stage 3, could you please provide insights into the time scales associated with this stage, considering its implications for the ongoing sale. 

So basically, how long do we need to wait for the current owner of the land to respond and if there is no response then after the given time period how long it will take land registry to update the titles and close this case.

Moreover, I would appreciate it if you could specify the date when the case transitioned to stage 3

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I appreciate your continued assistance.

Posted Sun, 04 Feb 2024 14:40:45 GMT by Adam Hookway
Dear Shubhendu - I'll see if I can get an idea of where things are currently at re the application. Please bear with me
BK531850
Posted Sun, 04 Feb 2024 15:34:07 GMT by Shubhendu Das
Hi Adam, Sure waiting to hear back from you.

Is this the new title BK531850 ?

Kind regards, Das
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 08:50:41 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Das - it is the new title number and the application has been completed and the new title information is now available online as required
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 09:53:58 GMT by Shubhendu Das
Wow, I hope this mean its all done and the application has been successfull.

Thank you Adam for all your guidance and help on this.

Have a nice day ahead.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in