Skip to main content
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:14:06 GMT by BETH SHEARER
Morning,
Quick question,  it is my understanding that a copy Probate should be certified as a copy by an individual within a conveyancing firm and not just generically by the firm.  We always request this and are finding that some firms are practically refusing to do so.  I would have thought this would be best practice anyway but I can't find the specific requirement in guidance (I am sure I have received a requisition in this regard in the past) - could you please clarify and point me in the direction of the specifics in guidance ?  Thank you. Beth.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2024 10:13:35 GMT by Adam Hookway
Morning Beth - a quick question but not an overly simple answer I'm afraid.
The official guidance we refer people to is held on GOV.UK and is relied upon across government re how to certify a copy
From a purely registration perspective a certified copy is one where a conveyancer has certified that it is a true copy of the original and endorsed with their name and address
Our requirements may vary depending on the type of document/application involved but we can often accept certification done by a named individual or in the name of the firm - Rule 217 refers to the name and address aspect re a conveyancer but also allows us discretion so certified in a firm's name can be accepted if appropriate
I would agree with you re best practice but am also aware that some firms will not view it that way and will sign/certify in the name of the firm  
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2024 11:06:56 GMT by BETH SHEARER
Appreciate that Adam.  Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in