Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 11:28:09 GMT by sherbs ville
Hi, 

my Dad was killed in March, and I need to register our house for the first time. I keep reading all the info, but it's so confusing. The form keeps going on about conveyancers and stuff. I'm chronically ill and disabled, so can't afford to pay for one. I did probate on my own, and was hoping to do this on my own, but it's really, really, confusing.

It says to have the right forms, but then doesn't tell you the right forms! PLEASE help me. I'm dealing with the police and coroner, and this is just too much. I need to finally start the process as didn't realise it took so long.

Is there anywhere that can help, or please can you break it down for someone who is stuggling? Thankyou.

I don't have the deeds yet, but I know we own the land, so I think that means freehold, but the form had different types of freehold.

Thankyou so much.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 11:52:54 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Sherbs - I am sorry to read of the issues you are facing. Applying to register a property for the first time can be confusing so if you are not going to use a conveyancer then I would recommend separating the process and application into separate parts 
The two key first steps are the probate, which you now have, and the actual deeds that confirm his legal ownership. You will need the latter to be able to prove that he owned the land/property as appropriate and they will also influence the type of application and supporting evidence you then need to submit.

Once you have those you can then complete forms FR1 (application form) and DL (list of deeds/documents you are submitting)
Form DL should simply list the deeds/documents in chronological order, so eldest first and most recent last - the most recent would be an Assent (form AS1) from yourself as the executor to yourself as the beneficiary and new legal owner.

So FR1 and DL first and then Form AS1 second re the key forms you need to complete
Form FR1 includes side notes to help explain the information to include - panel 4 would be Absolute Freehold as you have the original deeds and documents

You will need to have your identity verified and if you do not wish to use a conveyancer for that then form ID3/others as listed in PG 67 can be used - Evidence of identity (PG67) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

There is a lot of ground to cover but much of it is 'paperwork' so by doing one form at a time can help but of course what might be simple for one person may prove complex for another - if you have any friends/family to work through them that may be an option also.

There's a limited to the advice we can provide beyond what you have already obtained and the forms/linked notes and more but hopefully you can do as suggested and submit an appropriate application once you have the deeds/documents to hand

Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 11:58:47 GMT by sherbs ville
Ok, thankyou so much. When I have the deeds I will start. I understand you can't help with every little thing, and I really appreciate you helping atall. If I get really stuck again I will come back, but just understanding which freehold it is helps alot! Dad was all I had left, so I have no one to ask, and brain fog combined with grief make the simplest things near impossible sometimes.

Thankyou so much.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 12:08:23 GMT by sherbs ville
Hi sorry, 

it has a list of people who can do the form to prove I'm me, but it says I have to have known them for a year. My gp wont do verification forms anymore, and I don't know any one else from the list.

How can I prove identity please?

Thankyou.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 12:20:43 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Sherbs - no apologies are ever necessary so please don;t feel you need to for asking the type of Qs plenty of others have and will do so in the future. 
If you can't meet the ID3 requirements then you will have to use a conveyancer and form ID1. You don't have to use them to submit the application.
I would suggest contacting a few online to ask them if they can verify your identity and ask them to quote their fee as well. You will get a variety of replies I am sure but don;t limit it to one or two unless you get a quick and inexpensive response of course
And, again just for emphasis, stick to small steps here and do wait until your have the original deeds/docs to hand - for many that can be the point when they decide whether it is something they can do or that they do need wider help/advice from a professional
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 12:35:21 GMT by sherbs ville

Ok, thankyou. I can't afford what the will solictor would charge for the application, but I didn't realise I could use a conveyancer to verify who I am, so that's soooo helpful! I will beg the drs in case they budge on it. Doubt it, but worth a shot! 

Thankyou.

Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 13:23:57 GMT by Adam Hookway
Sherbs - solicitors who deal with estates/probate will be a very different proposition re fees/workload etc than one who does conveyancing/identity verification. 
The former often charge a fee base don a percentage of the estate. The latter often have flat fees and are naturally a lot less as a result
And again, make a list of things to do and take care of them one at a time and don;t get too far ahead on the list just in case some end up not being required. 
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 14:03:58 GMT by sherbs ville

You're an angel. Thankyou so much! Seriously, you're so lovely, thankyou.

Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 14:22:45 GMT by Adam Hookway
Sherbs - you are very kind. Small steps/bitesize actions and don;t think too far ahead at this stage. It can work and hopefully it will for you - post again if you need to even if simply for reassurance now you are moving forward with it all 
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 14:31:02 GMT by sherbs ville

Thankyou, and I'm sure I will be back! 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in