Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 22:01:00 GMT by Barbara Lam
I would like to add a family member in the land registry as joint owner of a property (no money/value exchange in hands).  I was informed by land registry that "Even if no money is changing hands, you should contact HMRC and check your responsibilities in respect of Stamp Duty Land Tax (England) or Land Transaction Tax (Wales). HMRC will provide you with a "Land Transaction Return Certificate" or submission receipt which should be sent to us with your application."

However It is written in HMRC SDLT that "If there’s no ‘chargeable consideration’ you don’t have to pay SDLT or file a return". 

So my question is if I don't need to file a return, then how can I get the "Land Transaction Return Certificate"?

Thank you very much.
Posted Fri, 09 Feb 2024 08:29:55 GMT by Adam Hookway
Barbara - transfer of this type can be varied with regards their purpose and it's that purpose and whether the property is for example mortgaged or being mortgaged that affects whether SDLT is payable for example.
If you have checked your responsibilities with HMRC, namely checked that the specific circumstances involved don;t merit SDLT, then you can submit without an SDLT certificate

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in