Skip to main content
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:28:21 GMT by Charles Williams
Background: At the moment I own a house jointly with AN Other. I'm buying their 50% share in so I will become sole owner. I Understand that we need to use forms RX3, ST5 and TR1 as well as evidence of identity. Neither of us is using a conveyancer.

I don't know anybody who is willing and qualified to sign form ID3. Can I use an ID1 signed by a Notary Public instead? (The ID1 form itself implies this is allowed. Practice Guide 67, however, seems to imply that only conveyancers can use ID1 forms.)

I've been advised that it would help the process if we submitted RX3 and ST5 first, then waited for these to be processed before sending the TR1. Would this mean that I'd need to get two copies of my ID1 and send one with the RX3+ST5 package and one with the TR1?

Thanks in advance

Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:32:40 GMT by Adam Hookway
Charles - check the definition of conveyancer as referred to in the PG 67 for guidance on what constitutes a conveyancer for ID1 purposes.
Unsure why advised to submit RX3 and ST5 separately but if you did that application doesn't require identity verification
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2024 12:31:44 GMT by Charles Williams

Adam - Thank you for your reply.

I've read PG 67 and understand the meaning of 'conveyancer'; neither transferor nor transferee is using one. I've also trawled through rest of the LR website and it seems to me that the answer to my question buried here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/completing-forms-id1-and-id2

My reading of this is:

• When a conveyancer is submitting the application ID1/ID2 must be used as evidence of identity.
  • Otherwise, when private individuals are submitting the application, ID1 (with part B signed by one of the legal professionals listed in section 2a) is acceptable evidence of identity.
  • Private individuals who are not represented by conveyancers may use ID3 as an alternative to the ID1 but are not obliged so to do.

I think my uncertainty arose because there are places where LR guides use the word 'conveyancer' as shorthand for 'conveyancer, Chartered Legal Executive or other approved verifier'

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in