Skip to main content
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 11:15:16 GMT by Alexei Khatiwada
Hi

I have a Shared Ownership property and have received a Deed of Variation from my housing company, to vary the lease.

Specifically, a clause has been removed, so that the 'ground rent payable annually under the terms of the lease will be fixed rather than doubling every 10 years'

I have accepted the variation and now need to register it at HM Land Registry.

Can you please advise which form I need to submit to you? Is it the AP1 form?

Also, which of the costs on this page would apply? (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hm-land-registry-registration-services-fees). Would it be 1. standard form restrictions (£40?)

Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 13:47:51 GMT by Nimish Patel
Hi Alexei - You need to submit the form AP1 and the fee of £40, together with a copy of the Deed of Variation. 
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 14:26:07 GMT by Alexei Khatiwada
Thank you. 

In Section 14 of the AP1 form, in this case, would I be required to provide the details of us (the Tenant) and the Landlord too? Or is sufficient to just include details of the Tenant?

If I require both, would I then have to provide 'evidence of identity' for both parties?
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 14:34:08 GMT by Nimish Patel
Alexei - You would be required to provide the details of both.    

If as you have mentioned, the deed only varies the a clause in the lease, then you do not need to provide evidence of identity.  
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 14:37:54 GMT by Alexei Khatiwada
Thanks Nimesh - much appreciated!
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 14:49:22 GMT by Alexei Khatiwada
Sorry two final questions:

1. In section 7, I understand we put our name, address and email address in. There is a box to complete for 'reference'. What is this and does it need to be completed?

2. Section 9 has this:

The address(es) for service for each proprietor of the registered estate(s) to be entered in the register is
1. the address of the property (where this is a single postal address)
2. the address(es) for service from the transfer/assent
3. (for existing proprietors who are remaining in the register) the current address(es) for service in the register
4. The following address(es):
XXX

In this section, would the Proprietor be both the Tenant and Landlord? In which case, would I tick 1 (our address) and 4. (then provide the Landlords address?)
Posted Fri, 06 Oct 2023 14:55:33 GMT by Nimish Patel
Alexei - With regards to your first question, the reference relates to any specific reference you have with regards to the application.  This is generally applicable to legal conveyancers and professionals who submitted a number of applications to us and have their own case references.  You can certainly leave the reference bit blank. 

On question 2, the address bit relates to the tenant's address. 
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:40:15 GMT by Alexei Khatiwada

Hi 

When submitting the AP1 form, alongside the signed copy of the Deed of Variation, would I need to send the original copy of the DOV? Or would it be sufficient to send a duplicate copy of the DOV (scanned and printed?)

Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:50:23 GMT by Nimish Patel

Hi Alexei - I have updated my response following some discussion with my colleagues. 

We suggest you submit a certified copy of the Deed of Variation in the first instance.  If we need to see the original for any reason then we will ask you to provide it to us. 

If you are unsure about Certified copy, then you can find guidance on our GOV.UK - https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in