Skip to main content
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:23:14 GMT by Lynn Foot
My father died in 2009 and my mother in 2023, and probate has just come through. The will stated that my brother and I have inherited my parents property in equal shares.

I searched for information about the Title Deeds and the following message was returned:
No information held for
We retrieved a copy of the paper deeds from the bank and my father is shown as the owner. 

Can you give me instruction on how to proceed, please?  Should I fill out form AS1 and provide a certified copy of the paper deeds because we do not have a title number?

Thank you if you can advise.

Kind regards, Lynn Foot.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 06:19:36 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Lynn - the property is unregistered so ownership relies on the original deeds/documents. Our online guidance explains what to do next depending on the choice made.
If you are keeping it and are to be joint owners then this is the specific guidance you will need if your late Father was the sole legal owner (check deeds to confirm) and you have probate for him. 
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:36:06 GMT by Lynn Foot
Adam, thank you so much for the quick and very helpful response, best wishes, Lynn.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:10:04 GMT by Lynn Foot
Another question please.

We don't have probate for my father, and the paper copy of the original deeds remained in my father's name. What evidence could be provided to prove that mum inherited the house in 2009 after dad died? Is dad's will sufficient? 

We do have probate for mum.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 07:55:28 GMT by Adam Hookway
Lynn - if the deeds refer to Father only then you will need probate for him. Property can be inherited but it has to be transferred to the beneficiary for them to then become the legal owner. So as things currently stand the legal ownership still forms part of your late Father's estate.

Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:55:37 GMT by Lynn Foot
Thanks again Adam :-) 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in