Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:51:12 GMT by Ben Prince
Hello,

In an instance where a site has a number of buildings and titles, all under one ownership, is there a process whereby these titles can either be merged into a single title, or split in an alternative way (but still under single ownership)?

Thanks.

Ben.
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:03:28 GMT by Nimish Patel
Ben - There’s no legal requirement on us to merge / amalgamate titles but our policy is to consider it if there’s genuine future benefit to the customer or ourselves and we have the capacity to do the extra work.  In the current situation with the delays that we have, our capacity to deal with the extra work is even more critical issue.

Customers can request to amalgamation of titles but need to provide an explanation for the request so that we can consider it fully and without that information it’s likely we won’t accede to a request.  

If there are no applications submitted as yet, then you can make the request through the Contact form on our website - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/contact-hm-land-registry 

Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:10:26 GMT by Ben Prince
Thanks Nimish,

There is no application as yet, so I will have a look at that link, and make the request if appropriate. To give some context, the site in question is owned by a business, and the future development of the site means it would be practical to move one of the buildings from one title to the other (as the business may want to separate that from the rest of the site in future). i.e. any potential future transfer or sale will be greatly simplified as the titles will already reflect the correct boundary. 

Kind regards.

Ben.

Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:03:15 GMT by Nimish Patel
Ben - Thanks for the explaining the context. 

In that situation it may be worth you including all the possible details on what are the titles you are looking to merge, etc. so that proper consideration can be given. 
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:09:58 GMT by Ben Prince
That's great Nimish,  I can do that. Having had a quick look at the contact form / process, which of the following would be best to select? 

Thanks.

Ben.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in