Skip to main content
Posted Sun, 10 Sep 2023 13:22:32 GMT by tiffany Haynes
My house is in the middle of nowhere and dated about 1740. It appears on tithe and enclosure maps with a small triangular section of land at the front and a drive exclusively used by the property - as it can lead nowhere else.

I want to put in a FR1 form and officially claim it. The problem is that all the previous occupants are dead (back to 1946 when it was first sold, it was previously part of a manor estate) so I cannot get any testimonies and I have only been here 4 years.

I have the official boundaries of all the surrounding properties and copies of the enclosure map showing it being part of my property.

Is it worth submitting the form with all the maps? if I can make any sense of the forms.

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 07:17:55 GMT by Adam Hookway
Tiffany - if you only have 4 years of a claim then an application is almost certainly not going to succeed. I'd recommend seeking legal advice as you need to satisfy the legal requirements first. The registration ones come second and it's also worth ensuring that what you are doing and have done re the land is also legally sufficient to support a future claim
Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 12:51:04 GMT by tiffany Haynes
Hi

thank you for your response.

I have 2 sworn statements regarding the drive way section only 

one dated 2004 - stating that there was access to the property and that it was maintained from 1953 - 1974 and access was unhindered up to 2004

one dated 2019 - stating unhindered access for access to the property

As the section of driveway that bounds the land in question is only used for access to the property would this count as adverse possesion evidence for the road section only
Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:03:46 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Tiffany - it's impossible to be definitive here as very hypothetical information until seen/proven
But that reads as if they were affirming a right of access, a prescriptive easement, rather than supporting a claim as to ownership. 
So a tentative no as to it counting re a claim as to ownership

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in