Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 00:56:17 GMT by Steve Bristol
I have Grant of Probate for my late mother and property is to pass to myself and I previously understood and had prefilled the forms whilst waiting for grant that I only needed forms AS1 and AP1. I see now that the ID exception for personal representatives has been dropped. Can form ID3 be signed by a retired police officer - the practice note / guidance / form is ambiguous?

Secondly the ID requirement will force a significant and unnecessary cost for professional services of those prepared to perform this - solicitors/conveyancers who will refuse unless they charge for the whole process; is there any law broken if I leave the property in my late mother's name until I die and then my personal representatives can use chain of representation and only incur one fee and avoid the solicitor/conveyancer?

Thirdly as cheque books are no longer available for many people is there any way to pay the land registry apart from again being forced to engage a solicitor/conveyancer.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 07:36:55 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Steve = section 9.1 of PG 67 confirms that your identity can be "verified by someone in, or who before retiring worked in, one of the authorised professions below" - the list includes a Police Officer
There is always a cost to using professional services. However the death is a very sad fact so if you do nothing then the legal ownership remains as part of your late Mother's estate. No law is being broken as a result and the only possible 'challenge' in such cases would tend to be from the family group for example re the executor not carrying out their responsibilities as an executor in dealing fully with the estate. 
Registration fees can be paid by cheque or by postal order to HM Land Registry. The payment of fees by other means is being developed but as yet not implemented.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:14:24 GMT by Steve Bristol
Thank you. I can proceed as I'm fortunate enough to know a retired professional in the categories listed for more than a year, otherwise I would be forced to spend ££££ on professional services.

Can I confirm the certified copies of personal ID from both passports are recorded on box 5 of AP1 or does this box just need the grant of probate recorded or kept empty.

Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:27:26 GMT by Adam Hookway
Steve - if you are lodging form ID3 then you would list that in panel 5 of the form. And then refer to anything else you are submitting inc certified/official copy of the probate for example and form AS1

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in