Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 13:04:10 GMT by Tom McAllister
When my grandmother passed away, she left everything to my mother (her daughter) in her will. My mother has completed a deed of variation so that instead I will directly inherit my late grandmother's property as if I had been named in the original will. I am unsure of the best way to record this within the TR1 form.
When completing panel 8, I think this would fall into the 'other' category but could also be classed as 'not for money'. Currently I have selected 'other' and accompanied it with some text explaining the situation:

"xxx[me] is inheriting the property from [grandmother] through a deed of variation enacted by [mother]. Copies of both the original will and the deed of variation are included with this application. The transferor has not received money or anything that has a monetary value from the transferee."

Would there need to be any additional information included e.g. in panel 11?

Furthemore, my mother is also the executor for my late grandmother's estate so she will be "the transferor". To explain this aspect, panel 4 reads:

"Transferor: [mother] acting as executor to [grandmother] who passed away on [date]. A copy of the grant of probate is included with this application".

Is this sufficient?
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 13:43:32 GMT by Adam Hookway
Tom - in such cases less is very much more when it comes to the form TR1. There is rarely a need to include additional information but you can of course do so if you choose to.
If the title is registered in grandmother's name then the executor would be named as the Transferor as you suggest - so "[Mother's full name] as executor to [grandmother] " would be sufficient.
Panel 8 of TR1 - simply tick the second box

We are not concerned with the 'reasons' behind the transfer or actions re the will/deed of variation for example. They are matters for the individuals involved and it is not our role to then check/confirm that the executor/beneficiary has acted in accordance with the will for example

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in