Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 12:50:53 GMT by Ernest Smith
Hi,
My mother passed away and my brother and I are named as the executors on the will as well as beneficiaries.  I understand we need to complete forms AP1 and AS1 and submit them with the grant of probate that we have obtained.  I have read elsewhere that we might not need to submit form ID1 for identify because we are named as the executors on the grant of probate.  Can you confirm if we need to complete form ID1?

Ernest
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:12:45 GMT by Nimish Patel
Ernest - Evidence of Identity is usually required for all parties to the transaction unless they are represented by a conveyancer. 
See Practice guide 67: evidence of identity for more information and the options available to you.
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:20:02 GMT by Ernest Smith

Thanks Nimish for your reply. I just found a similar question in the forum where the answer was that ID1 was not necessary because the probate acts as sufficient identification.  Is this still the case?https://customerhelp.landregistry.gov.uk/forums/general-info-and-guidance/4864c215-518c-ed11-a81c-002248407559#3d432e1b-518c-ed11-81ad-0022481b5022

Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:39:43 GMT by Nimish Patel
Ernest - That was our guidance and procedure previously. Previously we used to advise “that although we do not routinely require evidence of identity for a personal representative, we may ask for this, in addition to evidence of their appointment, in some instances. 

Following a review of our practice, with effect from 4 September 2023 a personal representative who assents or transfers the land has been removed from the exception status with regards to verification of identity requirements. This has been brought in as a safeguard against fraud.

I hope this clarifies the position. 

Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 22:51:26 GMT by Ernest Smith
Hi Nimish, yes, thanks that clarifies it and explains why I was getting confused.
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 22:58:05 GMT by Ernest Smith
To keep the cost down of obtaining ID1 form I notice that a number of online solicitors offer a service where they verify identify by video call and complete forms ID1 and ID5.  Is this acceptable?
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 08:48:48 GMT by Nimish Patel
Ernest - yes, it is acceptable provided the conditions set out are complied with. 

See our Practice Guide 67 for more info - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/evidence-of-identity-conveyancers
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 11:50:13 GMT by Ernest Smith
Thanks Nimish for your help.  I also notice that the video on this site https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/verify-identity-citizen-id1 indicates its also possible to use form ID3 to have my identity verified by someone who is not a conveyancer.  Is this allowed to accompany a transfer application with forms AP1 and AS1? as long as I use someone listed in Practise Guide 67?  

Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 11:53:11 GMT by Nimish Patel
Ernest - Yes, it is. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in