Skip to main content
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 13:55:47 GMT by Mike Morgan
Hello,

My mother incorrectly spelt her name (I know, ridiculous!) on my Birth Certificate, and because of this - I need evidence of what her name was on the date of my birth. She had a joint mortgage in her name at the time.

Are there any land registry services she can apply for to collect this information I could then use as evidence for a name change on my birth certificate? I found 'Apply for historical editions of the register or title plan held in electronic form' which requires the filling out of a 'HC1' form.

Am I correct in thinking my mother could apply for this information, selecting the exact date of my birth - and the land registry could prove her name on that date?

Kind Regards,

Mike
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 14:01:45 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hello Mike - you'd need to connect any registered information with proving that it was matched with your Mother. The edition date won;t be precise re the actual date you need for example as the edition dates can be very wide apart and aren't specific to the date you may want.
What's the address/title number involved and how far back are we hoping to reference?
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 15:05:21 GMT by Mike Morgan

This would be in 1988, so quite some time ago. I understand these things are probably not very precise to the day as it will depend on the 'edition' however, do the 'editions' cover a date range, or were they conducted quite regularly?

Apologies, I'm not too knowledgable on registry office processes :( When you mean address/title number do you mean address of the property in question?

Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 15:12:52 GMT by Adam Hookway
Mike - register editions won't date back that far as paper/hard copy in those days. I mean postal address of the property but you may have the title number also
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 16:55:01 GMT by Mike Morgan
Thanks Adam. I spoke to your team on the phone and unfortunately they can't help. But I'm thinking perhaps if you have mortgage information on another property, I might know which mortgage provider to send an SAR to get the information I require. Do you have any mortgage provider information at 9 Magpie Close, Basingstoke, RG22 5QG between 1990-Sept 1997?
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 09:01:10 GMT by Adam Hookway
Mike - there are two mortgages referred to within that date range 3rd July 1997 and 29th Oct 1997 will give you the details re title HP79041
The old card registers were converted into an e-format from the mid 90s onwards hence the 1997 year for the first edition mentioned. A remortgage happened later in 1997 as well so a new edition was created
Form HC1 plus £7 fee for each edition which I suspect you are already aware of through your other contacts

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in