Skip to main content
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:17:56 GMT by David Yeo
I am in the process of selling part of my garden and could do with confirmation of the order of proceedings. I have spent some time studying the various guidance notes but am still unsure about the exact procedure.

As I understand it I shall need to apply for a Certificate of Title to prove to the buyer that the property is registered in my name. I shall also need to complete an ID1 form and have it certified to prove to the buyer that I am the actual owner.

Then when the buyer has agreed all terms I shall need to complete a TP1 form and submit plans which indicate the part of the garden to be sold and then submit this to the LR. Do I need to submit my ID1 with this submission? Do I need to get buyer approval and signature prior to submission?

In order to complete the sale and transfer ownership I believe that an AP1 form has to be submitted by the buyer but what I am not sure of is the timing of this submission and how we are informed that completion has occurred.

I would be grateful for any guidance and confirmation, or otherwise, that my understanding above is correct.
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 08:51:56 GMT by Adam Hookway
David - any application would need to be complete on submission so forms AP1, TP1 and ID1 for both of you as appropriate
The TP1 would need to be executed by you both also
We can't advise you on the conveyancing process to follow or the order in which you do things to end up at completing the sale etc
Our online guidance explains what is required to make an application but how you get there would be for others to advise you on. 
Please note that if your property is mortgaged then your lender will need to consent to the sale/transfer and may insist that you use a conveyancer to do that

Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 15:41:37 GMT by David Yeo
Hi Adam - Thank you for your swift reply. Just so that I can be totally clear the seller will complete the TP1 form and the buyer the AP1 and both forms are posted together with ID1 forms for both parties.
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 16:02:28 GMT by Adam Hookway
David - correct. Do read the full online guidance and linked forms plus their own guidance 
Also note the low value transaction and identity verification as if below £6K in value then you may not need ID1s
Posted Sat, 02 Mar 2024 10:29:51 GMT by David Yeo
Hi Adam- Sorry one last question. The Post Office offer an ID verification service. Can this be used to certify the ID1 form or are the options solely those listed by Land Registry?
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 08:09:56 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi David - no re PO and solely as listed in our own guidance

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in