Skip to main content
Posted Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:45:03 GMT by Adam Hookway
I am afraid we cannot tell you who owns which fence or boundary.

Your title register or your neighbour's may provide information about who owns or is responsible for boundary features such as fences, walls or hedges but generally only if this information was mentioned in the original deeds lodged with us when the property was first registered; or if your property was originally part of a larger piece of land or property and provision was made in the transfer from the seller to the first owner, for its ownership or responsibility. 

I would recommend taking a look at any documents your solicitor may have given you when you bought your property to see if they mention anything about boundary features. That can include the registered details but also for example particulars of sale provided by the seller.

If you don't have a copy of the registered details then you can usually view/download a copy of the register online and apply by post for a copy of any deed referred to as ‘filed'. The title plan will only show you the registered extent/general boundaries. It will not tell you who owns which boundary

I should stress that it is not unusual that neither your title register nor any deeds will contain any information about boundary ownership or responsibility. Even if they do, the situation may have changed. For example, new boundary features might have been built and the owners at that time might have agreed who was responsible for them. 
So, regardless of any information in the title register or in any deeds, it is probably best to talk to or write to your neighbour before doing anything to a fence, wall or hedge or other feature between your properties.

If the register or any filed deed(s) do contain information, the most common marking on deed plans indicating who owns and is responsible for the maintenance and repair of a boundary feature, is a 'T' mark. Such a mark normally means that the owner of the property into which the 'T' extends owns the boundary feature and is responsible for its maintenance. But you must also read the wording in the deed to make sure this is the case. 

We don't offer a service whereby we check the registered information for you. So, I would recommend

1.    Checking the information you received when you bought the house inc the register/deeds as well as any particulars of sale provided by the seller which can inc details of which fence/boundary they have looked after;
2.    if you don't have a copy of the register or 'filed' deeds (if any) then obtain copies
3.    Read, and ask your neighbour(s) to read, our guidance on boundaries so that you have a shared understanding; and
4.    Try and agree with your neighbours a way forward that works for you both

Please have a read of our blog article on boundaries as well
Posted Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:25:55 GMT by Adam Hookway
No further comment

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in