Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 15:32:35 GMT by David Byrne
My neighbour has obtained information from Land Registry about an equity release my parents made on their house. This is perfectly legal but he has printed this off and is using it to harass my 82 year old mother who lives on her own. 

he has this pinned up on a post in his front garden for everyone to see. This is the third time he has put this up and it displays names, address and details of the financial company they have a contract with. 

Aside from being mis use of personal data, it also seems to be in breach of land registry terms and conditions that he would have agreed to when he downloaded the information? 

So my question please is: do you enforce your terms and conditions in such cases? Can I report him please? As this has caused my elderly  mother considerable distress. 

any advice here greatly appreciated. 
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 15:45:12 GMT by Adam Hookway
David - I am so sorry to read of the distress the neighbour has caused your Mother, and you. 
I'm not aware of our terms of use extend to cover the scenario you refer to and I would strongly recommend seeking legal advice as to what legal options you have.
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 16:00:09 GMT by David Byrne
Thanks Adam for the prompt response. Point 7: prohibits the use of the data for any unlawful purpose, or breach of data protection law. 

this is a clear mis use of personal data and unjustified public sharing in an uncontrolled environment, so is a data protection breach. 

This been reported to the police as he is also threatening us aggressively, but sadly the Police won’t even caution him. 

Thank you. I will see if my MP can help. Fingers crossed.

kind regards
David.

Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 16:10:37 GMT by Adam Hookway
David - understood but we are not the arbiters re such matters so it would be a court of law who would sit in judgement and enforce such a breach. 
I wish you luck and in my experience the next best step is legal advice and if appropriate a letter from your solicitor setting out the legal ramifications if he continues with the harassment

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in