Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 09:50:21 GMT by Helena Davis-Fawcett
Can you claim on land adjacent to a property that your are renting?  
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 10:11:33 GMT by Adam Hookway
Helena - it's what you have done re the land itself that is crucial to meeting the legal requirements to back up an application to register your claim. See PGs 4 and 5 for guidance and do seek legal advice also
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 11:43:49 GMT by Helena Davis-Fawcett
None of it addresses the question, can a person renting a property claim the land adjacent? 
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:36:11 GMT by Adam Hookway
Helena - anyone can claim land as per the guidance in both PGs. Your Q is more of a legal one but in the simplest of terms any claim is about what you do with the claimed land rather than what else you might own and how, for example leasehold or freehold. 
The law is a complex one re claiming land and I'd recommend you seek legal advice as you'll need to meet the legal requirements before you then apply to register such a claim
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:12:09 GMT by Helena Davis-Fawcett

Thank you Adam. But why is the law not clear on this rather simple question. 

I would have thought that you would have to be the title holder of the property you reside in before you can start to claim on land next it. How can you claim to own something based on where you live, but not own where you live?!

Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:59:10 GMT by Adam Hookway
Helena - it's probably not clear as it's not a Q that arises for the reason I have tried to explain. Being a leaseholder will complicate matters re any claim of land for example within the lease or owned as part of the freehold out of which the lease is granted.
But if it's simply adjoining land then it's just land and as such the law would not need to explain what it doesn't affect.
Being next to or 100 miles away the land is still land that can be claimed in law. The key Q is what have you done to take ownership of the land etc 

Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:40:56 GMT by Helena Davis-Fawcett
It is not myself who is applying.  
They have erected a fence and put chickens on there. But the worst thing is they felled some very large and established trees what one would have thought you would need permission to do so. 
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 14:47:41 GMT by Adam Hookway
Helena - tree felling is an issue for either the landowner or the local authority if a tree preservation order exists
Likewise any trespass on the land is a matter for the landowner to take action over otherwise a claim as to possession might then follow

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in