Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:16:13 GMT by Maria Brown
Hi there,

I wonder if you could please provide some clarity for me.

I am purchasing a house where sadly one of the joint proprietors passed away a while ago, and this has not been updated on Land Registry.

My solicitor has advised that the seller's solicitor needs to fill in a DJP form before we can progress with the sale, which I understand to be in accordance with your online guidance, but the seller's solicitor is advising this is unnecessary. They are arguing that submitting a copy of the death certificate with the application for transfer to our names after completion will be enough. Please could you advise on best practice?

Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:28:30 GMT by Maria Brown
Oh and as a follow-on - please could you advise as to estimated timescales for the register to be updated using:
a) e-DJP
b) the expedited process?

Thanks so much for your help - this forum is incredibly useful.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 12:59:21 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Maria - either works and entirely the choice of the parties/their conveyancers. There may for example be a reason that your conveyancer is insisting they update the register first and before exchange/complete but you'd have to ask them.
Wait times are lengthy so if there's an urgency, which there is, the expedition can reduce that wait time to under 2 weeks. But everything has to be in order of course as expedition does not wave such requirements and some customers don;t always realise and appreciate that need.
Thank you although the forum relies heavily on the posts made by it's users of course to be so useful
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 14:12:18 GMT by Maria Brown
Thanks so much.

Really grateful for your efficient response! Have a good week.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in