Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 11:13:30 GMT by Rose Wylde
If someone applies to register a piece of land that appears to be unregistered, will neighbours or nearby landholders be informed? Will the application appear on the Land Registry records?

I am asking because a local contractor says that he has applied to register for a piece of land that is currently used as a car park/depot but I can find no trace of such an application on the relevant area of the map.

Should I search anywhere else?

Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 12:25:12 GMT by Adam Hookway
Rose - each application to register unregistered land is dealt with on merit and as such we may or may not contact adjoining/neighbouring land/property owners.
For example if someone applies to register land based on the original deeds/documents proving their ownership then it's highly unlikely we would contact anyone else unless their application included land already registered to someone of course.
If someone sought to claim land through adverse possession, so no deeds but they'd used the land as if it were their own etc, then it's very likely that we would contact adjoining landowners but again all depends on the specific details involved.
Any registered information would only appear online as and when the title had been registered 

If you think they have applied to register the land then you can make a postal search of the index map and the search result will confirm if they have
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 12:26:25 GMT by Adam Hookway
HM Land Registry is currently reviewing its support for members of the public. We’d like your views to help improve our service to you. Please fill in our anonymous survey

Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 14:11:56 GMT by Rose Wylde

Thank you, Adam! I'll follow your suggestion.

Posted Sun, 25 Jun 2023 14:10:13 GMT by Rose Wylde
I applied for a postal search of the index map, as suggested on 31st May but so far no result has arrived. Is this length of delay 'normal'? The cheque I sent for the application was paid into the Land Registry's account on 12th June.

I have tried phoning to find out what has happened but as there is no title number because the land is unregistered, it's difficult to get assistance.

Should I re-apply and can I get a refund if the search result has gone missing?
Posted Sun, 25 Jun 2023 16:22:14 GMT by Adam Hookway

Rose - I’d guess either we’ve not been able to issue the result as the form was incomplete; or we have and you’ve not received it as an issue with post. 
If you’ve rung then the support team should have taken your details and the specifics re your search and referred it. I’m unclear why it would be difficult to get assistance as a result. 
So I’d suggest submitting the specific details using our contact form and the support team can check and assist with a reply 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in