Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:34:11 GMT by Gigi Morris
Hello I purchased a property jointly with my family and we are all on rge deeds with percentage ownership to reflect our financial investment. Outbuildings existed with planning permission to convert to a dwelling for family only. The Council insist only family can live there. Ie we can't rent it out in the future.
ThIs is now a complete property on a large plot along with my property. 
Is it possible to split the title deeds. It does actually make it difficult to insure the converted property as insurers will only see it as outbuildings. 
Thanks 
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:43:12 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hello Gigi - this is covered in quite a few threads on the forum - see this one for example for what's required
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:18:52 GMT by Gigi Morris
Thank you I have read the example. At the moment we don't want to sell the other part off. as our in-laws want to stay there. But we want to be able to have the financial choice to move or release our equity, if we wish to. So in summary it is possible to do that if the LR agree to it.

But if either party wanted to move in the future, we could sell separately anyway and then on sale the deed would be split? Is that right even if the council say it's one curtilage? And the council said the 2nd property could only be lived in by family members?

Many thanks
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:30:24 GMT by Adam Hookway
Gigi - if you have no actual need to split now, but based solely on a future possibility, then we are likely to refuse any application to split the title in two.
There's no direct link between planning and registration so if the council have placed conditions on the planning then those still apply albeit they are not registered or overridden should the title be split. 
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:59:15 GMT by Gigi Morris
Thanks for your reply, just going back to my 2nd paragraph though, if either party decided to sell, even if both properties are on 1 deed, we could totally split that up upon an agreed sale?

Once we do have a need to split, such as needing to retire and down- size, is this the sort of thing that would be considered?

Many thanks
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:20:11 GMT by Adam Hookway
Gigi - most splits occur when a sale of part takes place, yes. So if and when you want to downsize/retire and that means selling part you can do that and the buyer registers their purchased part
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:31:39 GMT by Gigi Morris
Ok thank you for your help. It just seems our circumstances have changed since originally purchasing the property.

We are also struggling to insure the 2nd property independently. Would that be a reason to split the title if we are not selling 1 part off?

Many thanks
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:37:02 GMT by Adam Hookway
Gigi - if you have a reason to split it that's not based on a future possibility then you can apply as explained in the link provided. We will then consider the request on merit but only after you have applied
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:40:14 GMT by Gigi Morris
ok thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in