Skip to main content
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 14:47:14 GMT by Jenny Dell
Hi there,

I own a freehold property, and I am exploring the option of separating it into two dwellings with separate entrances and addresses. This query is separate to planning permission as I understand that process for dividing a single dwelling into two. 

However, the council told me that details of the new additional address (if granted) would be shared with the land registry, although I do not plan on selling or mortgaging part or all of the property at this time so the freehold will be unaffected. Essentially the building will simply now contain two rental units. No leases will be granted for these.

Do I need to do anything with the land registry to formalise this, or can the existing freehold stay as it is?

Thank you!
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 14:51:02 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Jenny - the freehold can stay as is as we would only update it if you applied and asked us to.
The council allocate the postal addresses as you are aware but we wouldn't update the register itself without an application to do so

Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 14:58:23 GMT by Jenny Dell
Thanks Adam. 

Is there any onus on me to update the registry? 
From my side it is correct as it is - a freehold property of which I am the owner.

Thanks!
Jenny
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:04:14 GMT by Adam Hookway
Jenny - not at all. The council add the new address to their own and Royal Mail databases and others use that data as required. We'd have that address added to our own data but it doesn't change where the land/building(s) are on the land register itself so no onus on you, or indeed us, to do anything
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:06:31 GMT by Jenny Dell
Thank you for your speedy and helpful response. Have a great weekend!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in