Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 15:19:44 GMT by Wendy Jellyman

I am in the process of trying to sell my mother's house. She is in residential care with dementia and no longer has mental capacity. I am her sole attorney and have the authority to act under a registered LPA.
My father died in 1979 and my mother's property passed into her sole ownership. It is the house they have lived in since it was built in 1956 and it has never changed hands. It has become apparent that my mother failed to register the property with the Land Registry in 1979 and it remains unregistered.
If necessary, can I, as her attorney, apply for registration on her behalf?
I don't seem to be able to find the answer anywhere. I believe that a purchaser can apply for first registration but may not be prepared to wait for the long time it is currently taking to process first time registration applications.

I should say that I have accepted an offer on the house but its non-registration only became evident when appointing my conveyancing solicitor who was able to identify the problem when I presented him with the deeds. There is plenty of evidence to fulfil the requirement to prove my mother has owned the property - both jointly and in widowhood - since 1956. I am asking in case this is a deal breaker for this sale (or any future offers on the property) and whether an expedited application from me in my capacity as my mother's attorney is possible to avoid this situation preventing a sale.

Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 16:55:36 GMT by Adam Hookway
Wendy - if they were joint owners then the legal ownership passed to your Mother after your Father died. 
Non registration can be an issue for the buyer, often for their mortgage lender, so you can apply to register it and request expedition due to the linked sale/purchase

Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 19:51:04 GMT by Wendy Jellyman

Thank you. Is there a particular form that I need to submit and will a dedicated access code to the OPG's registration of the LPA suffice? Also, presumably proof of identity is required.
Is it possible to point me in the direction of online guidance as to how to go about this or would it be advisable to go through my conveyancing solicitor?

Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 06:49:33 GMT by Adam Hookway
Wendy - we would always recommend going through your conveyancing solicitor as they are familiar with the forms, process, identity verification and more.
Our online guidance explains how to apply for first registration. Re the OPG registration we need a valid summary sheet generated by the OPG’s ‘Use/View a Lasting Power o Attorney' service so a bit more than their code
Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 07:09:36 GMT by Wendy Jellyman
Yes, I've been looking online and feel that my solicitor is the best way forward :-). Just got to wait to see what advice the purchaser receives regarding registration by them after sale.
Thank you for your help Adam.
Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 07:40:18 GMT by Adam Hookway
Wendy - it often does come down the buyer's needs and specifically if they are buying with a mortgage. Lenders and their mortgage offers tend to make the decisions re Yes or No on completion and it's likely due to the length of time and LPA involvement they will say No and ask you to register first to remove those risks for example.
If they do then ask your solicitor to submit their application and request expedition. Generally speaking that leaves the wait time at 10 days or less but everything has to be in order of course so expedition is no magic wand and simply a helping hand to the front of a long queue of similar applications
Your solicitor should be well aware of all of the above and able to manage things from own experience for you as well

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in