Skip to main content
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2023 12:54:50 GMT by Jon Duffy
Hello.  I have recently inherited my parent's house and I am doing the probate - I have the grant of probate and now need to contact Land Registry.  The house is currently rented out (previously to pay for my parents' care).

The end goal is to have the property registered jointly with my wife as tenants in common with unequal shares because my wife will be managing the rental while I work and therefore we want it to be mostly her income.

The questions is - can I do that in one transaction with Land Registry, or do I have to first transfer the property to me first (since I'm the single named beneficiary), then make it joint as tenants in common and then make the shares unequal?

Any advice appreciated!

Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:20:09 GMT by Adam Hookway
Jon - you do not have to do the transfer in 2 stages. Please see our online guidance for details on how to transfer (as executor) to the new joint owners as appropriate
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 19:30:31 GMT by Jon Duffy
Hello Adam, thank you very much for the link and the quick response.

I wtched the guidance around the AS1 form, and I can see that form has as its second option to register as tenants in common with equal shares.   Where on that form (or other form) would I specify unequal shares?

Regards
Jon
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:37:51 GMT by Adam Hookway
Jon - panel 10. Please refer to the online guidance
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:20:21 GMT by Jon Duffy
Thank you again,  Adam!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in