Skip to main content
Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:01:06 GMT by Rose Wylde
I live in rural Montgomeryshire. At the edge of the village is a small area of unregistered land which has been used for decades as a visitor’s car park and a depot for the council and their contractors, who often store road making materials in it.

The problem is that it can be subject to careless dumping or uncontrolled use and no-one can be found insist that the perpetrators clear up their mess.

We have researched the question of ownership thoroughly with all surrounding landholders and with the Land Registry without any result.

If the local  county council or community council applied to register the land, what criteria would have to be met?
Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:30:07 GMT by Adam Hookway
Rose - see PG 5 for guidance on the registration requirements. 
Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:17:06 GMT by Rose Wylde
Whoa! I'm out of my depth with PG5. Is it correct to assume that, basically, it's possible for the County Council's Highways Dept to register the land because they have been using it for many years?
Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2023 12:43:31 GMT by Adam Hookway
Rose - it's a very complex law first and slightly less complex registration second
It's possible for them to apply to register a claim, yes. But they need to consider the legal requirements first to confirm that they have actually taken legal possession. Every claim is treated on merit but the PG 5 explains some of the basic essentials involved

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in