Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 10:30:56 GMT by Andrew Gidney
Hi,
I have 2 freehold garages that are currently on the same deed registration. I would like to separate them so they are each on their own deed. Does anyone know how to do this, how long it takes, and how much it costs?
Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 10:55:06 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Andrew - It is possible to split or subdivide the registered title, however, if it is not as a result of a sale/transfer, it would be at the Registrar's discretion, and you would have to disclose your reasons for the request.
If you wish to lodge an application:
You must apply on form AP1, notifying us that a transfer is not required.
You must explain in a covering letter the reason why sub-division is required.
You will need to clearly identify the extent on a plan that complies with our registration requirements. You can find out information about plans in HM Land Registry plans: guide overview (PG40)
If the land is subject to a mortgage, consent to the subdivision of title must be obtained from the lender.
There is a fee of £40.00. Cheques/postal orders should be made payable to HM Land Registry. We do not currently accept card payments for applications.
Please be aware that we will only consider your request once a formal application is made, and we may refuse to proceed with the application if we consider that dividing the title would not be desirable.
If you choose to prepare the application yourself, send it to the following address:
HM Land Registry Citizen Centre
PO Box 74
Gloucester
GL14 9BB
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 10:59:36 GMT by Andrew Gidney
Thanks so much for the reply. I should have mentioned that I would like to sell one, and someone has expressed interest in buying just one.  Is it a fairly quick procedure, and do you think there will be any likelihood of refusal? There is no mortgage, and they are just in a block and not part of a house or any other property. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 12:04:03 GMT by Adam Hookway
Then it can be split on sale so the purchaser applies to register their 'part'. You don't split beforehand in that scenario
See our online guidance and then form TP1
Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:17:29 GMT by Andrew Gidney

I'm just looking at form AP1 and I'm not sure what to put in box 9. Is that for my details or the people buying a garage each, and are the two purchasers mentioned anywhere on AP1?  Thanks.

Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:56:06 GMT by Adam Hookway

Andrew - panel 9 of form AP1 is for the address for service of whoever is going on the register, namely the applicant named in panel 6.

As you are selling each garage separately you'll need 2 X AP1 as well. The Purchaser in each case then goes in panel 6 with their respective address for service in panel 9

See our online guidance re how to complete complete form AP1

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in