Skip to main content
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 14:40:48 GMT by Steve Cuthbert
Hi guys
New to the forum.My wife and I have recently updated our wills and part of that process involved checking our property with HM Land Registry. We have been in the property and bought it nearly 40 yrs ago and it turns out it's not registered with the Land Registry and we are wondering what steps if any to take next. We have no intention of selling/moving, is this likely to be a problem if and when it's sold or should we start the registration process now please?.
Thanks
Steve
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 15:09:28 GMT by Nimish Patel
Hi Steve - We would always recommend that the property is registered with HM Land Registry in the interest of preventing property fraud and to avoid any delays or issues whenever you deal with the property in future.  

You can voluntarily apply for first registration of the property at the moment.  If and when you deal with the property (sell, mortgage, etc.) then compulsory registration would be triggered and an application for first registration would have to be submitted within 2 months of the date of transaction.  

If you were to sell the property then compulsory first registration would be triggered by the sale, so in theory it would be the buyer's responsibility to have it registered.  However, often the buyer or their legal representative will insist the property is registered with us first before the complete the purchase.  

Guidance on our requirements for first registration can be found on our website - https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry

I hope this helps. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in