Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 07:23:49 GMT by Adam Hookway
My Mother died earlier this year and left her share of the house in a trust under which my sisters and I are trustees and my Father is a beneficiary. Please could you let me know if we need to register this with you or will it all be sorted when the house is sold after our Father has died?
Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 07:26:01 GMT by Adam Hookway
We register the legal ownership rather than the specifics around joint owners wills/trusts. As a result I imagine that the property is registered in their joint names and a restriction has been registered to protect the arrangement you refer to - you can and should check the register online and read more about private trusts in our Practice Guide

Our online guidance also assists with regards what to do when a property owner dies depending on whether the property is registered/unregistered and/or what you all decide to do

We can't advise you on what you 'need' to do in such circumstances as we register the outcome of those decisions and are not privy to the trust/wills and more.

We always recommend that families seek legal/financial advice re such matters to not only discuss what had been arranged previously and is already in place re the trust/wills but also to consider what may happen next and what's then required/what options exist. You can then apply, if necessary, to update the register as appropriate
Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 12:33:11 GMT by Adam Hookway
HM Land Registry is currently reviewing its support for members of the public. We’d like your views to help improve our service to you. Please fill in our anonymous survey

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in