Skip to main content
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2024 21:03:03 GMT by D Lai
Hello,
I hope someone would be able to advise on this query. During the process of buying a maisonette (A) with leasehold and share of freehold (freehold split across the four owners of the flats in the property), we have found out that after the sale of the downstairs flat (B)  the land registry title for the freehold was not updated with the name of the new freeholder. 
Upon checking the land registry further, we have also found out that there are different versions of the freehold titles (with different title numbers). So if one searches the property downstairs (B), the freehold title has the correct information with the new flat B owner as one of the freeholders. But if one searches maisonette A, the freehold title, which has a different title number, has the old owner for flat B on it.
Is it right and even possible that the freehold for the same property (as flat A and B sit on the same land) appears as two separate titles on the land registry? And if the title for flat B was updated, is there a way to have the one for maisonette A updated too without having to go back to the previous owner for flat B whose name is still on the title?
Thank you in advance for your help!
​​​​​​
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2024 07:25:02 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hello D Lai - yes, it is possible, as with maisonettes it is often the case that both the leaseholds and freeholds are split. 
If the title was not transferred then you will need to identify the still registered owner and ensure that they transfer the title to whoever. I would suggest going back to the conveyancer involved in the sale/purchase of the leasehold as they will be able to check and confirm what happened and why and hopefully rectify matters as appropriate
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2024 13:57:15 GMT by D Lai

Hello Adam, thank you so much for your reply. I thought that freehold titles could only be split if the properties were side by side rather than one on top of the other (as in this case) but I see that I must have been misinformed!

Can I ask, in this case then, when any one of the four flats/maisonettes are sold all freehold titles related to the building must be updated on the land registry? 

Because all four owners of the four maisonettes/flats in the building appear on the various freehold titles. So for example freeholder/owner for flat A appears on the freehold title for flat B, and viceversa, and so does freeholder/flat owner from flat C, and so on. 

And lastly, this must sound like a silly question, but if the titles are split then why do they need to have all four freeholders from each of the four flats/maisonettes on them? 

Thanks again!

Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2024 06:10:56 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hello D Lai - that's correct so you appear to have been misinformed.
The registered ownership should also change each and every time the leasehold is sold/purchased
The 'need' question is one for the owners/conveyancers to consider and answer. We will simply register as per any application made. There will be reason(s) as to why such an arrangement exists but they won't be as a result of our requirements
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2024 11:53:06 GMT by D Lai

Thank you so much for the reply, much appreciated!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in