Skip to main content
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 22:53:11 GMT by Jackie Joyce
I have purchased land adjoining my house and want to combine the titles into one title covering all the land and property. Is this possible and how do I do this? TIA 
Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 07:38:47 GMT by Adam Hookway
Jackie - it is possible but there has to be a 'good' reason for us to do so on application. So if you don't have a 'good' reason then it's likely we will refuse to amalgamate. Here's our general response to such enquiries

An amalgamation is the joining of two or more parcels of registered or unregistered estates affecting different extents of land under a single registered title.

We do not amalgamate titles unless some positive advantage accrues to a number of prospective purchasers (such as an amalgamation of areas of land comprising a housing development), or the request does not add unnecessarily to our workload.

Amalgamation can only happen where: 

• the estates are of the same kind [for example, freehold title] 
  • the estates are owned by the same proprietor[s] and in the same capacity [for example, if an owner holds one title as joint proprietor and another as sole proprietor, amalgamation of the two cannot take place]
  • the impact upon any encumbrances on individual titles, such as mortgages, have been accounted for  
If you wish to apply for amalgamation you will need to complete and submit:
  • Form AP1
  • a covering letter outlining the reasons for the request along with any supporting evidence [If you are being refused insurance, for example, then you should include a copy of that refusal with the application]
  • a sufficient description or plan of the land being amalgamated 
  • a fee of £40.00 [cheques/postal orders to be made payable to HM Land Registry]
Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 07:39:44 GMT by Adam Hookway
HM Land Registry is currently reviewing its support for members of the public. We’d like your views to help improve our service to you. Please fill in our anonymous survey

Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 08:41:25 GMT by Jackie Joyce

Hi Adam, many thanks for your reply. I am asking as our insurer won’t cover us on the newly acquired land under our existing home insurance policy. I have an email from our insurers setting out why they can’t cover us so I will apply for amalgamation on that basis and hopefully I will be successful. Kind regards Jackie 

Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:44:17 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Jackie - understood and appreciated. Make it clear in your application as to what the reason is and include a copy of any letter from insurer confirming the need
If you then need it processed quickly you'd need to request expedition through a dedicated channel. The wait without processing is likely to be around 5 months roughly
Posted Sun, 05 Nov 2023 16:27:50 GMT by Emily Wapples
Hi Adam

We want to apply to amalgamate two titles (comprising the main property/garden, and a small additional plot of land forming part of the garden). Do we need to provide ID with form AP1 (in the form of completed ID1 or ID3)?

Many thanks

Emily
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 14:16:30 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Emily - No. Not for an application solely asking for an amalgamation of titles
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 09:32:07 GMT by Chris Small
Good morning,

Im looking to purchase my neighbours property with a view to knocking through the property and making one larger property.

My questions are:

1) Timescales for LR to complete this transaction
2) Would there be any reason for refusal? Lending decisions would be based on the LR allowing the ‘merge’ or not.
3) Are there any online support material to ensure that im complying with your regulations?

Many thanks 

Chris 
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 09:51:56 GMT by Adam Hookway
G M Chris - if buying their property then that's roughly a 4-5 month wait to register it
If you are buying it and asking us to amalgamate it with your own title then that's likely to be a much longer wait
If you need it to be amalgamated to secure lending then a request to expedite it can significantly reduce the wait time
If you are doing the buying yourself then our online guidance explains what's required
If you mean how to apply for an amalgamation then the following explains more

An amalgamation is the joining of two or more parcels of registered or unregistered estates affecting different extents of land under a single registered title. A merger is where a lease is determined (closed) when merged into it's superior title.

We do not amalgamate titles unless some positive advantage accrues to a number of prospective purchasers (such as an amalgamation of areas of land comprising a housing development), or the request does not add unnecessarily to our workload.

Amalgamation can only happen where: 

• the estates are of the same kind [for example, freehold title] 
  • the estates are owned by the same proprietor[s] and in the same capacity [for example, if an owner holds one title as joint proprietor and another as sole proprietor, amalgamation of the two cannot take place]
  • the impact upon any encumbrances on individual titles, such as mortgages, have been accounted for  
If you wish to apply for amalgamation you will need to complete and submit:
  • Form AP1
  • a covering letter outlining the reasons for the request along with any supporting evidence [If you are being refused insurance, for example, then you should include a copy of that refusal with the application]
  • a sufficient description or plan of the land being amalgamated 
  • a fee of £40.00 [cheques/postal orders to be made payable to HM Land Registry] - if the amalgamation is requested as part of the purchase registration then no separate £40 fee is payable

To find out where to send the completed form, see Land Registry address for applications.

Your application and any supporting documentation will be considered on receipt.

Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:25:27 GMT by Simon Powell
Hi Adam, I understand that each case is different so Im posting my own even though there's a number of similar ones above.
We bought a house many years ago which had been split into two titles - basement flat and upper maisonette. We want to make the house one again ie de convert to one title, and we're told this may be required to address our HMO issues (we have 4 housemates/lodgers who live with us). Is this a simple matter to do, and, if yes how long might this take?
Many thanks, Simon
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:03:13 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Simon - the request to amalgamate is relatively simple and is set out above. The key tends to be dealing with the two registers t ensure that they can be amalgamated into one (same tenure, class and legal ownership for example) and any existing incumbrances are dealt with.
Wait times are lengthy so you would be looking at probably at least 4-5 months wait
Posted Sun, 03 Dec 2023 11:59:53 GMT by Emma Weston
Looking for some advice please.
i’m purchasing a property with two title deeds both are the same class and ownership but mortgage companies are funny about lending with two deeds.

If the seller applied for an amalgamation how long would it take? I’m worried that this may jeopardise our chain and sale.

thanks
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 08:51:05 GMT by Adam Hookway
Emma - wait times are lengthy but irrelevant here as once submitted by the seller they can request expedition to keep that wait time generally to under 2 weeks. Providing of course everything is in order to allow the request to amalgamate to be actioned
Posted Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:29:47 GMT by Sharon White
My parents have owned their home as joint tenants since 1984. This is NOT registered and not subject to any mortgage.  They also own a small strip of land along the side of the plot which was purchased some years later to enable an extension to proceed, which IS registered.  My Dad has now died. 

I think it would be best to get everything registered, and would like both the unregistered and currently registered land to be under the existing number if possible to simplify things if Mum decides to sell.  Is this possible and what do I need to do to sort it? 

I don't have probate yet.  Do I have to wait for that before proceeding, or is the Death Certificate sufficient as ownership will automatically pass to Mum for both pieces of land.

Thanks
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:02:12 GMT by Adam Hookway
Sharon - if they were joint owners of both then probate would not be required.
Our online guidance explains how to register the property for the first time. You should also complete a form AP1, see previous posts, to request amalgamation with the existing title. No extra fee.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:41:25 GMT by Sharon White
Thanks Adam.  I note that no registration is required then unless Mum chooses to do so. 

Does she need to do anything regarding the registered land though at this time?

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:53:44 GMT by Adam Hookway
Sharon - the 'need' does not exist as the death is very sadly factual and can be reported on as and when necessary eg on sale or remortgage. So there's no 'need' to update the register for the land but you can do as per our online guidance 
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:05:08 GMT by Sharon White
Thanks Adam.  With everything else we are having to deal with, it's nice to know that can be sorted as a when Mum wants to.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in