Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 13:33:58 GMT by Adam Hookway
I am the landlord of a property and I've had tenants living there since February
I'm unsure what bills they have paid to council, utilities etc but they've not paid me my rent for a few months and I have taken them to court. 
I'm told I need to highlight that any debt relating to them is solely their responsibility and one which I am not accountable or responsible for.
I don;t want my credit score affected or any of their debts attached to my property - any advice would be welcome
Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 13:34:31 GMT by Adam Hookway
It's unclear as to whom provided the advice but we register the legal ownership of the property, which is in your name, and do not then register/record the details of for example any tenants renting on a short term basis or living in the property.

You can check and confirm the registered information online. The register will confirm ownership and any registered interests
Our PG 19 explains how third party interests, such as debts and more, might be protected on the register 
If you are concerned that a false application might be submitted to protect an interest then you can register for our Property Alert service. You would then be notified of any significant application to update the register

I would however recommend seeking legal advice to understand how a tenant's debt might impact your legal ownership/the property.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in