Skip to main content
Posted Fri, 09 Jun 2023 06:38:14 GMT by Stewart Tombs
Some years ago I was offered the freehold for my property which when purchased was (and still is) leasehold.
The property is a flat in a block with two others above retail premises.
The freeholder's solicitors at the time suggested that the freeholder didn't want payment and was happy to transfer the freehold for free as long as I covered any legal fees arising from the transfer.
I was a bit strapped for cash at the time and said I would be back in touch when I could.
I am now looking into pursuing the matter and have contacted the freeholder's solicitors but having also done some research believe that this entire transfer could be achieved quite simply with an AP1 and a TR1 which seems fairly straightforward if the transfer is classed as a gift and although I have some mortgage left on my leasehold portion of the property, the freeholder doesn't.
I have approached a couple of conveyancing solicitors myself who have come back with almost comedic quotes for the work if all that is required are those 2 forms completed.
If anyone could shed any light on whether these solicitors are having a laugh or the transfer is more complex than my research suggests I would be massively grateful
Thanks for reading
Posted Fri, 09 Jun 2023 07:41:16 GMT by Adam Hookway
Stewart - if you are looking for wider comments then it's unlikely you will get them on this forum. I'd suggest trying forums such as Money Saving Expert where people in your position have done as suggested and can offer some advice guidance.
From a purely LR perspective transferring the legal ownership can be quite a simple process provided the correct forms etc are completed and submitted. But you are paying a conveyancer for their wider professional services also which can include legal advice as well as verifying your identities and so on
It would be odd for you to buy just your flat's freehold and I'd perhaps expect the freeholder to wish to transfer the freehold to all of you as a group. That's something to perhaps consider with the other leaseholders.
And The Leasehold Advisory Service is a useful resource if not already visited their site of course
Posted Fri, 09 Jun 2023 07:41:36 GMT by Adam Hookway
HM Land Registry is currently reviewing its support for members of the public. We’d like your views to help improve our service to you. Please fill in our anonymous survey

Posted Fri, 09 Jun 2023 08:05:48 GMT by Stewart Tombs
Thank you Adam
I will try the MSE forum too to see what others have experienced.
I expect I will end up using a solicitor, there are some things that just need to be done right - just not the one who quoted nearly £2000...
Cheers

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in