Skip to main content
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:32:53 GMT by Shagufta Arshad
Hi,  I am thinking of splitting a part of the garden and garage from the  large Freehold property.  The reason is so,  I can rent it out as a seperate  property and the rent will help to maintain some of the upkeep of the Freehold Property my family and I live in.  The house is Large and difficult to maintain and expensive. This way, it will be independent entity.
My question is,   Is it possible to Split the Title Plan on the Land Register into 2, and by doing so,  do we get a New Title Plan and Land Registry Numbers?  
Without selling the property or do we need to sell it to get seperate Title Plan and Registry Numbers. Keeping the Owners Name the same as on the original Title.
Thank you

Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:20:01 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Shagufta - there are a few similar threads on the forum which have the guidance on how to apply to split a title. This one explains the basics , just ignore the buyer/mortgage parts as it reads as if you are just renting/short let

I would add that splitting a large title isn't usually necessary if you are letting part. Many large properties are let or rented out for short periods of time and those lets/rents aren't registerable so there's no point splitting the title.
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:44:39 GMT by Shagufta Arshad
Hi Adam, Thank you for a quick reply. I have read the thread and it was a great help.
I just like confirmation on the fact that,  if you do split the Title Plan without selling the land, do you get New Title Numbers or No? 
At the moment as we are still deciding what to do and how to proceed. Before we take any step I like to gather as much info and help as much as I can. 
Will appreciate all your help.

Thank you  
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 16:15:41 GMT by Adam Hookway
HI - yes as the title has been sub-divided so you get a new title for one part and retain the original title for the remainder

Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 18:01:11 GMT by Shagufta Arshad

Hi Adam,   Thank you so much for your help

Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:31:09 GMT by Steven Swann
Hi Adam,

im in a similar position at the minute.
we have a Buy to let property and have been granted planning permission from the local authority to build a pair of semi detached homes.  The land is freehold, owned by us.  However we are waiting to start the build, everything is ready to go but as we have a mortgage on the BTL we need to divide the land up to 3 plots. Plot 1 with the current BTL and plots 2&3 for the new buildings.  We will struggle to get A remortgage on the current BTL if we start to build without dividing the land.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:59:18 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Steven - the same linked guidance holds true if you are applying to split a title into three plots. The key will be your existing lender and their own requirements alongside the application to split the registered title into three.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:35:40 GMT by Steven Swann
Thanks Adam,

there is only 3 months left until the re-mortgage so my next question is how long will it take once we apply to Land Registry for the Title to be split into 3 plots?  Bearing in mind we are ready to build.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2024 11:25:31 GMT by Adam Hookway
Steven the wait will be a long one so you need to apply first and then request expedition to keep the wait time as short as possible. Expedition generally gets it considered within 10 days. Everything then relies on it all being in order of course.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:55:36 GMT by Steven Swann
Thanks Adam
greatly appreciate your advice

thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in