Skip to main content
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 18:42:03 GMT by Katy Barley
I’m looking to buy a property ( house with some land). The house and garden are on one deeds, the land on another. My mortgage company want to two combined - how easy is this? Can it be refused? And how long will it take?
Posted Sat, 20 May 2023 07:39:52 GMT by Adam Hookway
Katy - if your mortgage company want the two combined I assume they want the seller to apply for that before you complete.
If so then they can apply to amalgamate the two titles providing they are of the same class and tenure and held in the same capacity. For example both Absolute freehold titles and in Seller's name on both and no joint ownership restriction - worth checking yourself but one to ask the seller really to check and confirm as you'll need them to make the application
Whilst we can refuse we wouldn't in such a case and so they should make an application and include evidence as to your mortgage lender's requirements.
Once submitted they would then have to request expedition to get it processed sooner (generally within 2 weeks) rather than wait several months
Posted Sat, 20 May 2023 07:40:45 GMT by Adam Hookway
HM Land Registry is currently reviewing its support for members of the public. We’d like your views to help improve our service to you. Please fill in our anonymous survey

Posted Sat, 20 May 2023 08:07:23 GMT by Katy Barley
Hi Adam - thanks for your reply. my mortgage company have asked if I’m happy to merge the titles on or before complete.
The deeds of the house are under the parents name, the land is under the daughters name - would this be a problem?
thanks
Posted Sat, 20 May 2023 10:01:47 GMT by Adam Hookway
Katy - it's an amalgamation rather than a merger (leasehold into freehold) and yes, different ownership mean you can't amalgamate.
So it reads as if you would be applying to amalgamate as and when both titles are in the same ownership
Posted Sat, 20 May 2023 10:18:54 GMT by Katy Barley
Thanks Adam, that’s really helpful
Posted Mon, 22 May 2023 07:34:08 GMT by Adam Hookway
HM Land Registry is currently reviewing its support for members of the public. We’d like your views to help improve our service to you. Please fill in our anonymous survey

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in