Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 13:57:25 GMT by Jason Yeung
Hi,

I purchased a leasehold interest in a new build apartment and the lease were signed in counterparts and the transaction was completed in Oct last year.

My conveyancer recently sent me the registration record and advised that only the counterpart lease with the lessor's i.e. the vendor's, signature is required to be registered and the counterpart with my signature is kept by the lessor and does not need to be registered and I can get back the original of the counterpart lease signed by the lessor only.

My questions are:  
1. Whether the counterpart I signed is required to be registered with Land Registry
2. If I sell my leasehold interest in future, will there be any complication if I can only produce the counterpart lease with the lessor's signature in practice.

Thanks a lot!

Jason
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 15:04:29 GMT by Adam Hookway
Jason - there's only one lease to be registered and you would normally apply to register the new lease and rely on upon the one you have with the landlord's execution. 
The registration record would rely on the one executed by the lessor and that's the copy any future buyer would rely upon
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 15:09:27 GMT by Jason Yeung

Adam,

Thanks a lot!

Jason

Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 15:27:56 GMT by Adam Hookway
HM Land Registry is currently reviewing its support for members of the public. We’d like your views to help improve our service to you. Please fill in our anonymous survey

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in