Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 01:56:46 GMT by M Capper
Hello, I am in the process of putting together an application for voluntary first registration. The property was bought in 1986 and is still lived in by the current owner (my mum). We have all the original title deeds and searches for when the property was sold previously. 

When doing the application, would we need to do a land registry search before submitting the application, and if yes, who's names needs to go on the form?

Hopefully someone can help.
Thanks

Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:14:59 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hello - see section 4 of our PG1 for guidance on what is required when lodging an application for first registration.
There are different types of 'land registry search' but FRs are very specific application types and section 4 explains more re what's required, including a specific type of search
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:41:58 GMT by M Capper
Hello, I was told by the solicitor (who certified the deeds) that I do not need to do any searches, but the link you provided above states that we do. Are you able to clarify please?

As I said above, the property was bought in 1986 by my mum and dad (dad died within a few weeks of moving in) and the deeds were transfered to my mum in 1986. She still lives in the property.

Thanks
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:45:35 GMT by Adam Hookway
M Capper - we will require the searches referred to. 
So you should have the original deeds/documents. If they bought the property together there wouldn't then be a Transfer into her name as the legal ownership will have passed to her following the death. 
I'm guessing you are perhaps referring to her inheriting so when you submit the application, along with the Conveyancer to the two of them when they bought, you should include a certified copy of your late Father's death certificate
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:59:46 GMT by M Capper
Yes you're right. It did just pass to mum as part of the inheritance.

As the property is not being sold or mortgaged, do I just need to do a search against the applicant, which is my mum?

Thanks so much for your advice so far Adam.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:17:10 GMT by Adam Hookway
M Capper - understood and thanks for clarifying
For both parents and their seller at the time - see section 4.4.5 of the guide
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:20:16 GMT by M Capper

Thanks Adam, just two more questions please. How long does searches take at the moment? And if there are any errors on the application, will I have to pay the fee (£250) again and re-submit?

Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:33:27 GMT by Adam Hookway
M Capper - land charge searches are fairly swift. They don't cost £250 though so am unsure where that fee has come from?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:52:25 GMT by M Capper
That's for the voluntary first registration for the house worth £300,000
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 13:28:46 GMT by Adam Hookway
M Capper - understood. If there are any issues with the submitted application we will contact you to remedy them. If an application is cancelled (rare) the fee is refunded
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 22:08:36 GMT by M Capper
That's great, thanks Adam

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in