Skip to main content
Posted Mon, 12 Feb 2024 23:14:17 GMT by Linda Hill
My bungalow is in trust for my stepdaughters. They and I own it and one of them is a trustee. They have agreed  that for a sum of money I can buy them out of my home. There is some urgency about getting my stepdaughter’s name off the title as I have found someone to buy the bungalow and have found somewhere else to live. I am desperate not to lose my new home. I’m told that my solicitor can use the portal to the land registry to expedite the removal of my stepdaughter’s name from the title and that the process of expediting is meant for this sort of situation. Can anybody share their experience of this situation? Any tips gratefully received. 
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 08:29:37 GMT by Adam Hookway
Linda - if you need to remove her from the title before selling then expedition will reduce the wait time involved re the processing. Expedition reduces that wait time to generally 10 days but it is often less.
Where that timescale becomes stretched is when the application is not in order. 
Whilst this is a public forum it is very rare for others to comment on their own experiences on someone else's thread
Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 09:02:59 GMT by Linda Hill

Many thanks Adam. I have spoken to my solicitor about the expedition process. She gave me the impression that she thought it was hit and miss, almost a lottery. My reading of your reply above is that it is an efficient system, set up to alleviate delays which would jeopardise a sale/purchase, which would be the case for me. We are not yet at the point where  we can make an expedited application as my stepdaughter still has to complete some paperwork (which she is willing to do) . 

Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 09:11:25 GMT by Adam Hookway
Linda - understood and appreciated but the 'lottery' comment is I suspect based on the fact that whilst expedition is granted how quickly the application can then be processed relies on a number of factors. Whether it's in order, if there are other applications pending against the same title, the complexity of the case and/or wider checks are needed.
Every application is treated on merit so there's no magic wand so Expedite = registered straight away sadly.
So best bet is to get the paperwork completed. Submit the application. Then request expedition. 
If you get the paperwork right then there shouldn't be anything hit or miss about it. Get it wrong and there will be a delay as we ask you to put it right
Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:28:55 GMT by Linda Hill
Thanks for that. I’ll push to get it in asap. 
Posted Sat, 17 Feb 2024 09:24:53 GMT by Linda Hill

Are there likely to be any delays to the removal of my stepdaughter’s name from the title deed because of involvement by HMRC? I know the matter is tax exempt but I understand that HMRC have to be notified. I have spoken to a friend who used your expediting process and said it worked well and quickly, but I don’t want my own situation to be held up waiting for HMRC as I have no faith that they will move quickly. 

Posted Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:06:48 GMT by Adam Hookway
Linda - that all depends whether you need anything from HMRC to support the application you are submitting to us. If you don;t then no impact at all

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in