Skip to main content
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:53:39 GMT by Geraldine Sandra Holloway
I believe this is to come into force in 2026 and need confirmation. I am a Parish Councillor who deals with queries for this area.
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 14:30:47 GMT by Adam Hookway
Geraldine - can you share any details re where that belief was born perhaps? 
If they were to be registered, rather than simply recorded, then I would anticipate there to be legislation to achieve that 
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:45:32 GMT by Geraldine Sandra Holloway

I read about registration and worried immediately, as there was no indication how it was to be done. I know there is a lot of discussion about the upkeep of footpaths and bridleways and other public rights of way at the present time.

In my experience, I have found many landowners and tenants reluctant to ensure safe passage of anyone using these Public Rights of Way with trees down left to rot, overgrown pathways where, with brambles and other obstacles are allowed to block access. In some cases, because there are shooting estates, in the season, again gamekeepers and farmers do not want anyone disturbing birds, even though they shoot at everything themselves. I am also aware, many farmers feel that with the increase in rural crime, they do not want to particularly encourage the use of these facilities with so much expensive equipment sitting on their properties.

While diversity is at present the driver for both the Environment Agency and Government, footpaths which may have existed for hundreds of years, are vital for generations of today and in the future. My aim is to ensure that not just my own small area but any other across the country is aware, if I am correct, that their footpaths etc. need to be protected for the health also mental health of those using the Public Rights of Way.

Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2024 13:19:34 GMT by Adam Hookway
Geraldine - understood but we register ownership of land and property in England & Wales. We don't register public rights of way and I am unaware of any intention for us to do so so that for example a registered title then includes details of a public right of way across it. 
Private rights of way granted or acquired can be registered but not public ones.
Hence my Q as to where the 'belief' came from but you have not linked to what it is you have read on the subject. That may help me to offer a wider view based on the context as set by the writer.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 10:44:26 GMT by Geraldine Sandra Holloway

I have spoken to the Public Rights of Way Department at Essex County Council and they tell me that legislation was going to be brought forward for registration by 2026 as indicated. However, it appears the Government has changed its mind, probably found it a little controversial and probably will not be in power anyway. The date has now been extended to 2031.

Of course, it may probably never come to pass as being inconsequential legislation and these things take time to pass through the phillibustering which goes on in Parliament anyway.

Many thanks for your prompt replies, it has been much appreciated. At least you too have found the idea did exist.

Regards

Geraldine Holloway

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:16:03 GMT by Adam Hookway
Geraldine - thanks for digging deeper and letting me know. It will be interesting to see if such public rights of way do make it on to the land register as you infer

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in