Skip to main content
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2024 11:07:04 GMT by Mark Scott
30 years ago I bought a home with attached derelict barns and a Farmworkers cottage, all in a big E shape.

The Farmworkers cottage had a seperate title running through part of the next derelict barn I owned.

I raised a mortgage on the house alone, and that part of the title was marked as mortgaged.

I developed the barns into 5 holiday cottages (not residential).

I now need to raise a 'buy to rent' mortgage on the individual hoilday cottages (due to my age - nearly 80 - no other  mortgage options are available)

So I want to clean up the title of the Farmworkers cottage restricting it just to the  farmworks cottage and road access.

... and give each of the 5 Holiday cottages their own titles and road access.

My question is:

1. Can I do this as there is no change of ownership and the House title has a marked section mortgaged - which I would leave, but cut out the unmortgaged area in to 5 individual holiday cottage titles?

2. The 5 Holiday cottages and one residential cottage used as a holiday cottage for 30 years are under one Business rates charge - will this change?

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 06:08:32 GMT by Nimish Patel
Mark - From the description you have given I am not clear how the registration is set out.  Can you provide me the title number or the address of the property so that I can check our records before answering question 1?  
Your second question is not for us at HM Land Registry. 

If you provide the property address, I will delete the details for privacy reasons once I have identified the title. 
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 10:52:05 GMT by Mark Scott
Thank you so much for coming back to me.

The 2 titles are SK173747  SK173701

The building is in an E Shape and that is only what I am concerend with - not the empty stand alone barn

As you will see one title covers Farm Cottage (Grove Cottage or Gun Cottage - the name has changed over the years) which is just a little corner of the E but extends a bit into the foot of the E next to the road.

The Other title covers the rest including our house

On the title covering the the rest the House and unused Barn is subject to a mortgage but leaves the developed cottages free of mortgage.

I want to clean up thinks by making the 6 cottages that form and upside down F ffrom the House, to all have seperate title and ones that do not encroach on their neighboring cottage like The Farm Cottage one does.

I attach a diagramatic plan of how the main house property has had 6 holiday cottages attached to it making the shape of an E.

Thank you

Mark
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:20:37 GMT by Nimish Patel
Mark - I see that there is already an application submitted to us to register transfer of part of the land in the title SK173701.  I would suggest you discuss any other plans on the title with your legal advisors. 
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:37:55 GMT by Mark Scott
Thank you Nimish

It is just an update on what part of the title is included in the Mortgage, no real change and certaily not encroaching on the developed cottages.

If you disregarded this amendment do you think I would be able to do what I need: give each cottage its own title, even though there is no sale or change of ownership?

It is a theoretical question.

Thank you.

Mark
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:53:38 GMT by Nimish Patel
Mark - Again that is a question best discussed with your conveyancer.   

You can ask for the title to be split but it would then be up to us to consider if it is something we can do and there is benefit in doing so.  We cannot tell you if we will do it or not on theoretical basis.  It would only be considered if an application is submitted to us.  

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in