Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 16:50:41 GMT by Susan Daniels
I am executor of will. How do I find out who owns the freehold of a property?  The name on the lease of 999 years has also died
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 06:22:31 GMT by Adam Hookway
Susan - if the freehold isn't registered then the detective work starts with the name of the person who granted the lease. After that it's probably a case of researching their death and next of kin/probate etc; using a professional tracing firm; social media in the area they lived perhaps and anything else you can think of. There's no guaranteed route if the freehold is unregistered
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 07:40:04 GMT by Susan Daniels

Thank you for prompt reply.  My cousin emailed Land Registry and paid a fee about 2 weeks ago but has not had reply, despite emailing again last week. Would they tell him if it was registered? Do you know how long replies are taking at present?  Many thanks 

Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 07:50:49 GMT by Adam Hookway
Susan - you can search online or by post for registered information. The postal search (form SIM) confirms if it is unregistered or not.
We don't normally provide specific information via email as the online/postal services are there for such details
Replies are generally between 5-7 working days but much depends on the options chosen when submitting the enquiries

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in