Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 17:20:04 GMT by Richard Williams
recently found out that my father’s property is sold STC.

I am in no financial state to appoint a lawyer as I’m on disability benefits & live in housing association property.
After his funeral, me and his widows family haven’t  been in contact as I’ve never really wanted anything to do with them, I hardly seen them & to be honest treated my late mother badly.

I was named as one of the executors & default beneficiaries of the will along with my father’s widows eldest daughter.
I have no family of my own whereas their(dads widows family) are quite extended.
They took me off they’re social channels not long after dad passed and I have no way of contacting them, not that I really want too.
Obviously I’d be looking for Pro Bono or No Win No Fee as I don’t have the money to hire a solicitor due to my health and I’m on disability benefits.
They both mirrored their wills on the same day as i my dad’s wives family were present.
Any help would be much appreciated in what is happening as i am a named beneficiary on the said property which is sold stc. 

I was told by a solicitor that the only person solely on the land registry is his widow.

Apparently I have no right to the estate. The email below is what she found out for me

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your email.

I find it odd that a Grant of Probate has not been obtained despite your father passing away 9 years ago.

The joint account funds will have passed to your father’s wife outside of the Will through the right of survivorship.

I have just checked the Land Registry too and the Property is in the sole name of Madeliene Laura Huntley.

Unfortunately it seems that there is no “Estate pot” to make a claim against in any event.

Kind regards,
Lucy

Im at a loss of what too do??

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards 

Richard

Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 06:27:33 GMT by Adam Hookway
Richard - I am sorry to read of the issues you are facing. You don't provide the specific details re the title or property so I'll answer in very general terms.
When a property is registered in joint names, and one of them sadly dies, the legal ownership passes to the surviving joint owner. In essence that means the register can be updated re the death at any time as very sadly the death is factual. I assume the property was in their joint names and that after his death an application was made to update the register as mentioned, thus removing his name from the register.
Probate would not have been required to deal with the property update as the death certificate is also proof of death 
Your late Father's beneficial ownership may however remain as a share in the value of the property but that then depends on what his will said with regards that share. For example did their mirror wills leave their share to one another or to someone else?
If he did leave his share to someone other than his widow then they may have a claim on that share but very much something your solicitor would need to check and advise you on 
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 07:23:49 GMT by Richard Williams

Thanks for the reply Adam. 

My fathers 8 his widows name me and his widows 2 daughters as beneficiaries. That’s it. 

Apart from in gifts he left hIs tools in his garage as he didn’t want his wife’s daughters husband getting his hands On them.

i have the original will, but unfortunately, i live in housing association property, have been long term sick with mental health issues and 2 operations on both shoulders and one on my back plus life saving surgeries last year due to complications from pneumonia on my right lung.

So basically my income is ESA & PIP so I have no chance of hiring a solicitor.

As the solicitor said in her email above, if my dads names not on the deeds I have no claim to to my share of the estate.

I’m stuck and extremely anxious of what I can do. 

Thanks for your time replying.

Richard

Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 07:41:59 GMT by Adam Hookway
Richard - noted and appreciated although I don;t quite understand re your Father's beneficial share and how it was left
You should always rely on your legal advice although the fact that he is not named on the register now may not be the full picture to be considered.
If he left his beneficial share to someone other than his widow and you can prove that was you then you may have a claim. But that's very much legal advice you need and not registration advice. 
I hope you are able to find a way to get full legal advice - good luck
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 08:08:15 GMT by Richard Williams
Hi Adam

Just one thing, as the the wills were mirrored one for mv father 8 me which I have & exactly the same to his widow who has now passed on I think, as she’d be about 100, if more. 

I can’t find any death notices as on the land registry she has her maiden name before she married my dad. So I’m not sure if she went back to her maiden name or what?! My dads been gone 9 years now, so I haven’t got a clue as the last time I saw her & her family was at my dads funeral.

Regards

Richard
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 08:10:49 GMT by Richard Williams

By the way, it was left in his will that after his wife passed, the estate would be split between the 3 children, me & her 2 daughters.

Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 08:13:22 GMT by Adam Hookway
Richard - we don't register deaths as such and the solicitor advised that the land register refers to her as a sole owner. The key re your scenario is whether or not you were left a share in the property in his will or whether that changed for any reason and as such everything went to her or her and someone else. We won't register or record that detail
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 08:26:32 GMT by Richard Williams
By changed or left to someone else, that means his widow would of had to change her will as it was the same as my dads until he passed. 

Should I not of been notified and maybe I have a right to make an inheritance act claim?

Anyway Adam, I thank you greatly for answering or advising me, you’ve been a great help.

Hope you have a good rest of the day 

Thanks again 

Richard

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in