Skip to main content
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 15:54:40 GMT by P Jey

This is regarding our application to register a lease which was submitted to Land Registry according to our conveyancer in October 2021. Purchase of property (ground floor maisonette with share of freehold) was completed in January 2021 and registration of freehold was completed towards end of May 2021. Conveyancer submitted application to register a lease in October 2021 and its been over 2 years and 4 months and we are still waiting for the application to be processed. We received a letter from Land Registry in August last year as a B129 Notice of application to register a lease (Land Registry reference (AAC9B18). Title number SY110311 SGL826136 (new title). Our conveyancer said Land Registry has mixed up address with the joint property holder (our neighbours upstairs) and there is another application to correct this. Its end of Feb and we still havent heard anything from Land Registry yet . Its been over 3 years since we purchased the property. Would you be able to help me check if the delay was due to lapse from conveyancer or delays caused by covid related backlog and staff shortage (as per our conveyancer) or anything that conveyancer has not communicated. Is it normal for registration to take this long.

Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:23:43 GMT by Adam Hookway
P Jev - the new lease (SGL826136) was registered last year. There's an application to update the freehold register for SY110311 as submitted in October 2023 and that's waiting to be processed.
You are already registered as the owners and that completed in October 2021.
Whilst the new lease was delayed the registration of your purchase was completed in May 2021 having been lodged in January 2021
Why it's taken from May 2021 to Oct 2023 to apply to update the address hopefully your conveyancer can confirm
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:57:36 GMT by P Jey

Thanks Adam. Appreciate your prompt response. I have asked our conveyancer about the delay in updating address.  We have not been receiving any updates for a long time regarding our application. When I do a search online for our property the last sold date of the property is showing as 2013 when the previous owners purchased the same and the most  recent transaction for 2021 is not listed anywhere online. Is it something to do with the fact that updating of freehold register is delayed? If we plan to remortgage our property this would be impacted. Would you know approximately how long it will take to complete this. Its now over 3 years since we moved into this property

Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:09:55 GMT by Adam Hookway
P Jev - I suspect it's more to do with the mix of freehold and leasehold so you won;t get a clear picture searching the price paid data online for example. The 'value' is in the leasehold so you won;t usually find the specific sold price for the superior freehold 
The key is actually looking at the register(s) themselves. If you check your freehold register you will see you have been registered since 2021 as stated. All that's pending now is a request to update the address and that should be considered in the coming weeks
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:14:55 GMT by P Jey

Thanks Adam. Really appreciate you clearing this for me. Was under so much stress as the conveyancer kept mentioning about delays due to covid and was not giving any further information. We thought its very complicated and thats why its taking so long. Its a huge relief. Thanks again. I will follow up with conveyancer on this specific delay

Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:09:23 GMT by P Jey
<p>Last few days have been trying to follow up with our conveyancer regarding the delay in updating address. They admit there was a delay and error on their side. They also mentioned that the new lease (SGL826136) for which we recieved a letter in August last year is actually for 255 and not for 255A (our porperty which was purchased in 2021). Our conveyancer is saying that there are 2 applications pending with Land Registry. This is what they said &quot;I can confirm there is two applications pending with Land Registry. One on the Freehold, updating the address. One on the Leasehold registering your ownership. Not having had sight of the correspondence with yourself and Land Registry I cannot advise as to why the second application hasn’t been addressed.&quot; Would you be able to check for&#160; me if there are 2 applications from Evolve Law against 255A. I want to understand if all this was consequence of&#160;mix up of addresses that they made. I have to raise a formal complaint based on this. I have asked them for application reference number for the application which they said they have submitted for Leasehold registering&quot;&#160;. I feel like they are not giving all the information.</p>
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:25:28 GMT by P Jey
I just received this from conveyancer "Title number for your Leasehold is SGL740588 and application reference is AACF0AC". Would you be able to let me know when this was submitted by conveyancer. As per them this has been with Land Registry for over 2 years and being delayed because of "covid backlog". They have not yet told me as to when the application was submitted
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:47:58 GMT by Adam Hookway

Hi P Jey - the freehold title for SGL826136 is SY110311. We have an application against the freehold title to update the owner's contact details. Submitted 2nd Oct 2023 by Evolve and waiting to be processed.

SGL740588  is the head leasehold title for 255A and the application AACF0AC was submitted on 8th Feb 2024, also by Evolve Law. 

Looks like they applied to register the new lease in Jan 2021 but it was submitted incorrectly and cancelled in March 2021. Seems they may have only just re-submitted it.

If I have read your post correctly you are actually waiting to sell 255A so I will ask colleagues to expedite the new application as submitted on 8th Feb and hopefully it can be processed swiftly. Everything will hinge on it being in order so make a note to post again next week and we can check again

SGL848044 - new lease

Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 14:08:29 GMT by P Jey
Thanks Adam. Helpful as always. I reached out to this forum as the stress of waiting 3 years for this whole process got too much to cope with as I started thinking there is some serious issue preventing this from reaching completion. Very disappointed with our conveyancer who hid the fact that they submitted this application only on 8th of Feb 2024 after mix up of address. We have been through a lot of stress because of the delay and not knowing what is happening in the background. I have not been able to sleep properly worrying about the whole thing. We contacted them several times and they never disclosed the dates of application or admitted their mistake until I took your response back to them . Really thankful for this forum and your prompt response that I have been able to get correct information and will definitely be raising a formal complaint for holding back information and the stress they put us through. 
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 14:24:33 GMT by Adam Hookway
P Jey - totally understand the stress and wider issues faced. Sadly it can sometimes happen albeit very rarely in my experience but that's of little solace for you as it has happened.
Stay in touch via the forum next week and let's hope everything is in order so we can get it across the finish line quickly.
I'll make a note to keep an eye on it and if there's some news to share, before you post again I'll do that.
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 14:42:41 GMT by P Jey
Thanks  a lot Adam. Really appreciate you chasing this up for us. Your prompt responses to my queries have definitely helped ease our stress and this forum has been a true blessing
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 15:44:13 GMT by Adam Hookway
P Jey - partially processed but we need more from the conveyancer re their application. It's nothing major, just an admin confirmation, but needed. We've contacted them today so await their reply.
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 15:56:58 GMT by P Jey
Thanks so much Adam for the update. Thanks for staying on top of this and tracking the progress.. Some positive news to end the week. I will contact Conveyancer as well and let them know. Have an amazing weekend. Thanks again!
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:34:20 GMT by P Jey
Hello Adam, just fyi, We had an update from our conveyancer that they have responded to the query from Land Registry on our application. Thanks
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:01:28 GMT by Adam Hookway
P Jey - noted although not showing up as yet. Will keep an eye on it as they have meant they were going to respond today but as yet haven't
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:33:57 GMT by P Jey
Thanks Adam, that's interesting as their response was "the subsequent correspondence they issued has been responded to". I will give it till EOD today and follow up with you tomorrow. Have serious trust issues with our conveyancer now and wont be surprised if they haven't yet responded.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:34:30 GMT by Adam Hookway
P Jey - last contact we had with them re submitted information was 21st Feb. They have a secure channel to add replies and more to a live application so once they hit 'send' it should appear in the live case fairly swiftly.
I've checked again now and still nothing
I'd suggest contacting them to ask if they have received the request of dated 8th March. And if they say Yes then ask if they have responded yet.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:01:38 GMT by P Jey

Thanks Adam. I called their office but couldn't get through to the conveyancer. However spoke to someone at reception and they checked and said there was some message related to a failure. Not sure if the evidence she tried to upload had failed or was rejected. Receptionist said there was a message to contact Land Registry. I have asked if she could follow this up and have the conveyancer respond to me at the earliest.

Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:41:10 GMT by Adam Hookway
P Jey - there's been some activity at our end this morning re contact from conveyancer. I'll check in with colleagues to see what the current state of play is
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:47:20 GMT by P Jey
Thanks for the update Adam. Much appreciated

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in