Skip to main content
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 18:48:06 GMT by Emma McCracken
Hi we are in the process of buying a house that has already been held up due to probate and now we have land charges to be removed, apparently they have been expedited but our sellers are becoming restless so wondered if you could update me on where we are with it thanks 
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 06:48:15 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Emma - do you have any specifics re the property/title number you can share please?
Or, if it's unregistered and the Land Charges need to be cancelled then that's a Q for Land Charges Dept rather than here on this forum
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 06:52:27 GMT by Emma McCracken

Thank you reply Adam.

I think one charhe os on property which is unregistered the other is for the land attached which is registered 

Its 9 lymore close nesscliffe sy4 1bb.

Thanks

Emma 

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 14:55:16 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Emma - many thanks. So the part of land is registered (SL127913) and we have an application to cancel a restriction as submitted in February. That's waiting to be processed and is likely to wait for a few months at least I suspect before processing begins. It's not been expedited 
If there's a land charge re the actual property and it's owner then that would be dealt with by Land Charges at Plymouth 
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 15:00:49 GMT by Emma McCracken

Thank you Adam.

Our solicitors have said they have reqyested it to be expedited due to a sale hinging on this, if it was to be expedited would this speed it up?

Why is it likely to take months at least?

Thanks

Emma 

Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 07:36:35 GMT by Adam Hookway
Emma - they or you can request expedition. They haven't yet.
Wait times are lengthy due to a backlog of this type of work. It doesn't take months but waits months before processing starts.
Expedition reduces that wait time so it is processed sooner. Everything then hinges on it being in order 
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 16:28:15 GMT by Emma McCracken
Thank you for this Adam.
i believe they are going t9 now expedite it..

However, they are trying to remove the historical land charges against the unregistered title of the house and there is also a legal charge registered against the land that they are trying to obtain information on.  This is more of an issue as they are trying to make contact with the correct department of the MOD to obtain further information in order to deal with these.  They are also in conversation with the Land Registry about how to deal with this if they do not make any progress with the MOD.

If you can be of any help with any of this I would greatly appreciate it. 
Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2024 05:52:15 GMT by Adam Hookway
Emma - there's nothing we can do to help re the other issues you refer to. Your conveyancer will need to deal with the MOD and Land Charges Dept directly. Sorry
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 09:33:40 GMT by Emma McCracken
Hi Adam

Are you able to tell me if you've had a request to expedite this yet?

Many thanks
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 09:35:43 GMT by Adam Hookway
Hi Emma - the application against the registered title was completed yesterday
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 09:40:07 GMT by Emma McCracken
Thank you, so does that mean the charges have been removed from the land? Is there anything else outstanding on this?

Thank you
Emma 
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 10:01:15 GMT by Adam Hookway
Emma - the application was to cancel the restriction in favour of the Secretary of State for Defence. That entry has been removed and the conveyancer notified. 
The 'land charges' you refer to are a separate matter dealt with the Land Charges Dept and I'd suggest speaking to your conveyancer to confirm/clarify what remains outstanding
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 10:06:02 GMT by Emma McCracken
Thank you, its causing an issue as noone knows the department of the MOD to help to remove charges. So we are just stuck now with no idea what to do.
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:00:00 GMT by Adam Hookway
Emma - ok - so we have this info 
Ministry of Defence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
The Ministerial Correspondence Unit, Room 222, Old War Office, Whitehall, London SW1A 2EU
Phone 0870 607 4455
Can't guarantee success(es) but perhaps something the conveyancer has yet to try?
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 15:53:58 GMT by Emma McCracken

Thank you Adam, is rhus the only number you have as unfortunately doesn't seem to work.

Many thanks for all this help

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 06:31:35 GMT by Adam Hookway
It is the only number but could be out of date in our own internal records. The Website will provide current and alternative contact points

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

Sign in